Return line threading - Am I being told the truth?

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
pooldaddio
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby pooldaddio » Mon 29 Apr, 2013 13:08

Hi. I'm a pool "newbie" and just noticed that the Universal Wall Fitting is not screwed in all the way to the return line on my new pool. It sticks out and there's more than a 1/4 inch left to go. The cleaner plugs in and works fine, but to me it looks bad and could be a hazard. My builder said that's "normal." Am I crazy for not believing that? Obviously there's not enough thread in the return pipe to take the whole thing. What can be done at this point? Add more threading to the return pipe? (sounds risky) Cut 3/8 inches off the universal wall fitting?

Thanks!

TSH Tech

Postby TSH Tech » Mon 29 Apr, 2013 23:45

In all my years services pools, I've done this on purpose. (left the sweep fitting not tightened down all the way)

There's a reason why - As with all things plastic an in the pool, UV rays just tear up plastic over time. Combined with the cold winters and hot summers, the temperature fluctuates and plastics contract and expand. When a sweep fitting has been screwed down all the way for years and comes time for replacement, it is impossible to unscrew from the fitting. It requires Channel-Lock pliers to unscrew them, or breaking the fitting off in pieces just to get it off.

It doesn't hurt anything, the sweeps still work, but if you are going solely for the aesthetics aspects of screwing down the fitting, then don't call me when it breaks.
:lol:
barbarahb

Postby barbarahb » Sun 12 May, 2013 15:41

This is my second pool opening. I made the mistake this year of tightening the threading on the cleaner connector and now have to replace it since it isn't keeping the cleaner attached. I cannot get it to budge, even with the locking pliers. Three questions, am I correctly trying to unscrew it by a counterclockwise movement from the deck (not from in the pool facing it) Second what tools do you recommend to break apart the fitting, or three would it work to remove the screws and take off the plastic mounting that the fitting is stuck to? Thank you. By the way, I can vouch for your answer, do not fully tighten the connector!

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”