Broken pipe? Filter full of sand!

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
ppritchard
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 1.5hp pump
Hayward 1200 filter

Postby ppritchard » Tue 21 May, 2013 09:52

No, I haven't let the pump run very long with the skimmer open. That picture of the original problem has me worried about what damage I might do. It took me a while to clean up the original mess.

You are right though about the water level. I do think it is dropping, but not a a very fast rate.
Definitely has not leaked down to the skimmer level (yet).

I will likely try the pump/skimmer again to see if the sand clears.

Thanks

ppritchard
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
Hayward 1200 filter

Postby ppritchard » Sun 09 Jun, 2013 12:44

OK, so I tried the skimmer again and within seconds the sand started flowing through the system and out of the jets into the pool. Obviously there is a major problem along the skimmer piping. So, I've shut the skimmer off and am just using the main drain until I can find out about relining the skimmer pipe Or some other fix.
CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby CGPoolman » Mon 10 Jun, 2013 07:18

I'm sorry to hear there is still an issue with the sand in the pipe. If sand was also blowing back into the pool, this makes me think you also have a hole or a tear in your filter cartridge that is allowing the sand to pass thru the filter and back into the pool. This could be making things look a lot worse than they are.

At this point, I can make 2 suggestions.

1) Use a line genie (hydraulic line flusher). It looks like a rubber boot that screws on to the end of your hose. With the system turned off - Take the lid off the pump and Insert the boot into your suction line with only the skimmer valve open so you can force water in the opposite direction, back thru the pipe and out the skimmer. This will force any sand in the skimmer pipe to bubble up out of the skimmer. I would think at some point the sand is going to stop flowing. Then you can manually scoop most of the sand out of your skimmer and keep it out of the filter. You need a new filter cartridge since you have debris blowing back in, so there is not much point in trying to filter it out, or replacing the filter until you have eliminated the sand.

2) While I am still not convinced you have a broken pipe, you can always try a company like American Leak Detection and have them pressure test the lines to check for cracks/leaks.

Best of luck, I know how frustrating this can be!

-CG
ppritchard
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
Hayward 1200 filter

Postby ppritchard » Fri 10 Jan, 2014 15:51

Finally got around to putting a "plug" in the skimmer.
That stopped the leakage.
I am confident now that the leak is underground along the skimmer line.

I've read about pipe liners that go inside the old pipe to repair underground leaks.

Anyone had any experience with those, or is there some other approach that would work, really miss the skimmer function.

thanks,
ppritchard
ppritchard
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
Hayward 1200 filter

Postby ppritchard » Wed 19 Mar, 2014 16:16

nobody has used the pipe liner type of fix?

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”