Not Laterals - but sand in the pool

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
neville
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: inground, 74,000 litres

Postby neville » Sun 05 May, 2013 10:33

Last year before close up I noticed very fine sand in the pool. After research and opening the pool this year I continue to see more. Thinking it was the laterals I empty the filter but found everything to be in good order. Is it possible that over time the sand has broken down and become fine enough to get by the laterals or is there another answer?

Thanks Wayne

TSH Tech

Postby TSH Tech » Mon 06 May, 2013 00:50

If sand is getting into the pools it means one of two things; lateral(s) are cracked, or the return pipe or lateral manifold is cracked.

If your filter has the star * type lateral assembly, each and every lateral needs to be unscrewed and inspected and the lateral manifold as well. All it takes is one small lateral blade to crack or punch through and sand will trickle out into the pool.

Also of note, I troubleshooted and diagnosed a sand filter at one point that was blowing sand into the pool. The problem I discovered was the filter was setup against the sunniest side of a white fence that was deflecting all the solar radiation to the filter like a solar oven. The sand got hot and melted right through the laterals in such a unique way, it was not entirely visible to the eye looking down into the filter tank.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 10 May, 2013 07:27

I have had the same problem
You could also replace the spider gasket in your multiport valve
It may look OK but it doesn't need much to let by
neville
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: inground, 74,000 litres

Not Laterals - but sand in the pool - answer found

Postby neville » Sat 11 May, 2013 13:21

Thanks for all the help. It was not the laterals but was the spider gasket as suggested. The sand was getting under the gasket. It had literally turn to an oil sticky mess and took hours to remove. I would suggest that any one with sand in the pool start by looking at this gasket in the valve. It normally would be an easy job and almost regular maintenance to check it. Takes only a few minutes and a $30 gasket if you need it. I would always start there and then proceed to the laterals if you don't find the answer.

Thanks Wayne

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”