HELP! Sand in the pool

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Crewey
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie
My Pool: I have a 20ft x 12ft liner pool, using a Tagelus 40 sand filter.

HELP! Sand in the pool

Postby Crewey » Tue 07 May, 2013 13:34

Hi Guys, I am new to this forum, but I hope somebody can help. Last season I noticed sand being put into the pool by the filter (Tagelus 40). So this weekend I emptied all of the old sand out and inspected the radials. They are all ok, as is the main pipe. I then put new sand into the filter and put everything back together. To my horror, this morning I find that the pool is full of sand again! I can't believe it. The manual says that either a radial is broken (which it isn't) or the flow rate is too high. The flow rate has always been the same and I'm not sure how to reduce it (unless I half close one of the flow valves). Could somebody please advise as we will probably only get about 4 days of sun this year and I'd like to have a swim!
Thanks in anticipation

Dave
:D

CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

HELP! Sand in the pool

Postby CGPoolman » Thu 09 May, 2013 09:17

Crewey,

If you are sure nothing is cracked/damaged inside the filter, check the multiport valve. With the system off, take the screws off the valve lid and have a look inside. There is a "Wagon Wheel" shaped gasket in there. If the gasket is bad, it could cause sand to leak thru and blow back into the pool.

-CG
Denniswiseman
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

HELP! Sand in the pool

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 10 May, 2013 06:57

I had the exact symptoms replacing the spider gasket in the multiport valve cured it for me
Although it looked OK
Crewey
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie

HELP! Sand in the pool

Postby Crewey » Tue 14 May, 2013 05:31

Thanks Guys, I'll give that a try. Watch this space!
Dave
Crewey
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie

HELP! Sand in the pool

Postby Crewey » Sun 26 May, 2013 09:28

Hi Guys...an update!!! I checked the spider gasket, which looked ok. However, just to be on the safe side I applied gasket sealer to the whole of the gasket. Still getting sand in the pool. So I emptied the sand out of the filter again to re-check the laterals. They are all fine and undamaged. I am at a loss now as to how ro proceed! Any advice would be welcome. If I need to buy the part with the gasket on, what is it called and does anybody know where I might get one in the UK?
To top it all off, my Purex Islander Electric pool heater is tripping out every time I try to turn it on!!!! I think I'll go down the beach and swim in the sea!

Dave
:(
Denniswiseman
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

HELP! Sand in the pool

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 31 May, 2013 05:24

Hi

My gasket looked OK but it wasn't. My advice is change it any way

Did you look at the correct part. My spider gasket is 8mm thick 135mm wide with 5 sections and a hole in the middle, it fits in a recess on the bottom of the multiport valve

You May have to Google for the part however my filter is made in South Africa and I find it easier and cheaper to buy direct from them I also live in the UK
Crewey
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie

HELP! Sand in the pool

Postby Crewey » Fri 31 May, 2013 18:32

Thanks Dennis, I'll Google it and try to find one. Much appreciated
Dave
Denniswiseman
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

HELP! Sand in the pool

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 01 Jun, 2013 06:16

I Have been helped many a time on this forum and am happy to help also

When my sand came through I did the same as you even replaced the laterals after I broke a fitting getting the sand out. It was only when my multiport valve leaked from the top and I changed the gasket that the sand stopped. More by luck than judgement. Hope it all woks out fine for you
Crewey
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie

HELP! Sand in the pool

Postby Crewey » Sun 02 Jun, 2013 04:17

Thanks Dennis, I have found somebody in the UK that sells them (Dolphin Pools), but I am not sure how to measure it! Mine is 7" across, but theirs state 19"-24"...confused.com!
I'll get this sorted then just the pool heater to sort...Summer's gonna be over!!!
Cheers mate
Dave
:)
Denniswiseman
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

HELP! Sand in the pool

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 06 Jun, 2013 08:09

Hi Dave

I've been away for a few days hence the delay in getting back

That doesn't sound like a spider gasket as it fits into the multiport valve. You may want to speak or refer them to this link (look at the last item)
http://www.aquafayre.co.uk/superbasket/ ... +and+Atika
That one is about 5 1/4 across
Once you check that it is the correct one you can search for the part number

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”