Black, smelly water, new owner

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
Twills011
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Twills011 » Wed 08 May, 2013 19:42

Hello, I bought a foreclosure and have no idea how to care for a pool. It is black and smelly.

How do you know if the liner needs replaced?
Can the water be cleaned? If so, how?
Is it worth trying to clean or should I scrap it?
I don't want to put more than $1000 into trying to resurrect this pool.
I do not know if I can post pictures on here.

Thank you for any help.

TSH Tech

Postby TSH Tech » Thu 09 May, 2013 03:40

I have completed many foreclosed home pool cleanups, liners and plaster pools. I've seen it all.
I've run into a few occasions where, above ground pools were a total loss and were drained, torn down and thrown in the trash. If it was an in-ground liner pool, they were always salvageable and with new liner installed made the pool look brand new.

Twills011 wrote:

How do you know if the liner needs replaced?
When it no longer holds water, shows signs of being torn, liner beads are cracked and won't hold up in the bead tracks. If the liner is rigid and brittle, that's a definite indicator, especially if you plan to drain it.
Can the water be cleaned? If so, how?
Black water cannot be cleaned. It is a category of a very serious hazardous type of water containing bacterium, algae and who-knows-what-else. It's water that is considered a serious health risk to humans and needs to be dumped into a sewer pipe that leads to County/City water treatment plants.
Is it worth trying to clean or should I scrap it?
If you do not tear the liner, then yes
I don't want to put more than $1000 into trying to resurrect this pool.
If it turns out you need a new liner, then your budget is blown off the chart. We haven't even addressed the condition of your pump/filter and any other plumbing issues that are unseen.
I do not know if I can post pictures on here.
I use Photobucket or some other photo hosting site

Thank you for any help.

First, drain it, then go from there. You won't know if the liner is salvageable until you drain it. If it is salvageable, then it can be cleaned. If not, well, there goes your thousand dollar budget out the window.
The fun part about draining dark green and black water pools is you never know what's inside the pool until you drain it. There could be a couch, chair, a motorcycle, parts of cars, anything.
Twills011
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Twills011 » Thu 09 May, 2013 12:22

Thank you very much for the advice. I will drain it and go from there.

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”