Pool light niche has no screws and no bottom tab

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
Winkito

Postby Winkito » Wed 08 May, 2013 22:14

I just had my pool plastered and I pulled out the old led light which was held in the niche with some sort of putty. I am replacing this light with an intellibrite 5g led. I had intended to use a light wedge to hold the light in, but there are two problems....one, there is no tab at the bottom of the niche to hold the light from the bottom ( very old niche I guess) and two, the shape of the light doesn't really have that long cone that most lights use to have the wedge hold it in....I have searched and searched and haven't seen anyone with this problem...how can I get the light in the niche? I just had the pool replaster end so I don't want to and or can't drop the water level....does a light wedge work with this light? How can I do this without a bottom tab? Would pool putty hold the light in place? Please help and I would be most appreciative!

TSH Tech

Postby TSH Tech » Thu 09 May, 2013 03:48

You will need to get an adapter.

The old pool light niche's from the 1960's and 70's are smaller. An adapter plate that fits into the small one, then allows the Standardized Size of pool LED lights to fit in place.

I don't know about that putty method, :shifty:
TaylorMullins
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby TaylorMullins » Sun 29 Sep, 2013 11:41

TSH Tech wrote:You will need to get an adapter.

The old pool light niche's from the 1960's and 70's are smaller. An adapter plate that fits into the small one, then allows the Standardized Size of pool
led lights to fit in place.

I don't know about that putty method, :shifty:

Were you able to find right way to fit these lights? I am facing similar issue so please help me..
TSH Tech

Postby TSH Tech » Mon 07 Oct, 2013 02:46

TaylorMullins wrote:Were you able to find right way to fit these lights? I am facing similar issue so please help me..

Most pool stores can order a pool light adapter bracket for an existing pool light niche, so that the light housing will fit and screw down for a tight unmovable fit. The universal brackets are designed to adjust to most pool niche sizes.
__
A new product came out that we had the opportunity to install.
This may be a great excuse to slip into LED pool lighting for a little less cost than the going rate of a stainless steel LED light.
The product is called the Nicheless LED by Jandy(Zodiac).
http://www.zodiacpoolsystems.com/Produc ... s-LED.aspx

This product will fit any size pool niche that has stripped or missing screw and tabs. The way it works is the face plate kit has 3 stainless steel screws that will press outward onto the niche housing as you tighten them. They are long enough to fit on the small early style to the new and current style niches.

Our install notes, you will need the following
- Jandy Nicheless LED light (either one, or two depending on your faceplate configuration)
- Jandy LED light threaded fastener
- Jandy Faceplate kit (comes in different colors, allows you to use one or two LED lights)
- **Optional - Jandy color light control switch
- 120v to 12v 100 watt transformer
(I like the Hayward 12v transformers, because they fit over the J-boxes that seem to be a swimming pool standard installed by pool builders everywhere. They make the install much more smoother with nothing to modify in the electrical department) See link
http://www.hayward-pool.com/prd/In-Grou ... 008__I.htm
- tools
- drill and hole saw with assorted sized blades.
newtosalt
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 15,000 gallon; Hayward chlorine generation; Hayward DE filter; Polaris 280 vac

Postby newtosalt » Sun 23 Mar, 2014 17:58

Please stay away from "the putty option" -- will fail fairly quickly. I haven't used an adapter like the guys discuss but that sounds like a logical solution.

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”