Phos Free

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
Yeller
I'm new here
I'm new here

Phos Free

Postby Yeller » Thu 09 May, 2013 17:28

When I had my pool guy doing my pool bvefore I took over the duties, he added a mega concentated phos reducer, literally 3 cap fulls in 12k gallon.. Any idea what he added and where can I get it?

Thanks

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Phos Free

Postby chem geek » Thu 09 May, 2013 20:45

That was Natural Chemistry® PHOSfree which you can get at many pool stores. It's lanthanum chloride that precipitates phosphate as lanthanum phosphate so the product also contains a clarifier to help clear the pool. Phosphates are an essential nutrient for algae growth so this product should be seen in the same vein as an algaecide.

It is not necessary to use if you maintain the proper Free Chlorine (FC) level for your Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level since the FC/CYA ratio determines the active chlorine level and a proper level will kill algae faster than it can grow regardless of phosphate level.
ziggy

Phos Free

Postby ziggy » Fri 10 May, 2013 21:20

One thing about problems with pools is you can follow the guidelines which are correct for the chemical readings but sometimes you need more than just that. Things I don't see asked on forums, whens the last time the filter was cleaned? Are there alot of debris that fall into the pool on a weekly basis? How long is the filter running? Do dogs swim in the pool? Is your pump and filter updated and the correct size?
In no way am I trying to cause trouble but my point is you can have your chemicals correct and still have problems.
Yeller
I'm new here
I'm new here

Phos Free

Postby Yeller » Sat 11 May, 2013 09:25

This wasn't Phos Free brand.. he had about a quart and added maybe 3oz to the pool. I use Phos Free now to all the pools I care for so more than others as Ziggy pointed out..I was looking for something more cost effective.

Update: Think I found what I was looking for thanks to Chem Geek. I ordered the KemTrek Phos remover. Should be just as effective but wont break the bank..

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”