Air pressure explosion

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Sally

Air pressure explosion

Postby Sally » Wed 15 May, 2013 13:58

I have an above ground pool with sand filter and heater. I went out to clean filters, turned off pump and the skimmer bucket and lid on side of pool along with air and water shot into the air about 5 to 6 feet. Scared the crap out of me, the filter baskets where not clogged...everything seemed fine. What could be the problem I have left it turned off.

Thanks

mas985
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Air pressure explosion

Postby mas985 » Thu 16 May, 2013 10:20

That is caused by a build up of air in the filter which is caused by a suction side air leak and most often is the pump lid leaking. Try a little pool lube on the pump lid gasket and see if the solves the problem. Also, when the pump is running, there should be very little air in the pump basket.
Mark
Hydraulics 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Ed 101
18'x36' 20k gallon plaster/gunite pool, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge Filter, Solar Panels, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater
Sally

Air pressure explosion

Postby Sally » Thu 16 May, 2013 10:37

mas985 wrote:That is caused by a build up of air in the filter which is caused by a suction side air leak and most often is the pump lid leaking. Try a little pool lube on the pump lid gasket and see if the solves the problem. Also, when the pump is running, there should be very little air in the pump basket.

Thank you so much for responding, I am going to soap everything, every connection I can find, and look for a leak...seems the easiest way, and watch for a bubble or bubbles. Again Thank you, very scary when that happens, screamed, ducted and covered my head. Sure it was funny to anyone watching...Thanks again for responding.
Sally

Air pressure explosion

Postby Sally » Tue 21 May, 2013 10:06

Sally wrote:
mas985 wrote:That is caused by a build up of air in the filter which is caused by a suction side air leak and most often is the pump lid leaking. Try a little pool lube on the pump lid gasket and see if the solves the problem. Also, when the pump is running, there should be very little air in the pump basket.

Thank you so much for responding, I am going to soap everything, every connection I can find, and look for a leak...seems the easiest way, and watch for a bubble or bubbles. Again Thank you, very scary when that happens, screamed, ducted and covered my head. Sure it was funny to anyone watching...Thanks again for responding.

Second problem, we have taken care of suction side leak...also purchased new pump basket I believe it is called. There is no sign at all of air in the pump basket now. But we are still getting air trapped in the filter somehow and it is exploding back into pool. We have bled the air out of filter numerous times, but still having same problem. You do not always see bubbles coming into pool for this to happen when you turn pump off. We have a Pentair sand dollar filter. Afraid that the air pressure could built up in filter and boom..filter is only 1 year old, was replaced last year.
Thanks again if you can help that would be great.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”