Sand filter leaks

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
rld7
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18 round, 52" sta rite crystal flo sand filter

Sand filter leaks

Postby rld7 » Wed 15 May, 2013 20:52

My sta rite crystal flo sand filter is leaking from the top. I was looking at the schematics of the sand filter on line and it looks like there is a washer under the handle, and there is a o ring as well could it be any of those causing it to leak? Also it was leaking a lot when we first set it up, and now it is leaking a little. The filter is over 5 years old. Any advice would be great. :)

CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Sand filter leaks

Postby CGPoolman » Thu 16 May, 2013 08:33

Where exactly is it leaking from? If it is leaking at the metal band where the valve meets the filter tank, most likely the o-ring is bad. If it has been leaking from day 1, maybe the metal collar was not tightened down enough or the o-ring could have gotten pinched in there. If your plumbing is not unionized, you would have to cut the pipes in order to lift the valve off the filter and replace the o-ring.

It's not uncommon for condensation to collect under the handle and be mistaken for a leak. I think there is a washer underneath the handle but it's pretty rare to have a leak there.

-CG
rld7
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18 round, 52" sta rite crystal flo sand filter

Sand filter leaks

Postby rld7 » Thu 16 May, 2013 18:42

Thanks there is a small o ring washer that we replaced and that stopped the top leak, we also have water coming out at a pretty good stream from the back wash hose. Any ideas on that?
CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Sand filter leaks

Postby CGPoolman » Fri 17 May, 2013 08:08

If water is leaking from the backwash line, this is usually due to a bad "wagon wheel" gasket inside the multiport valve. With the system turned off, pull the screws out of the top lid of the valve and remove the lid. You should see the gasket sitting there. Your local pool shop should stock this gasket, just give them the make & model of your filter and valve and they should be able to match it up for you. I think there is a 2" and an 1.5" model of your filter, and this will decide the gasket you need so check that before you go to the store.

These gaskets are typically glued into place, so make sure you get all of the old gasket out before putting in the new one.

-CG

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”