Levelling an existing above ground pool.

Liner issues and problems installing or
maintaining above ground swimming pools.
canadiandude
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Above ground, approx. 22 feet across, if I recall it is about 30,000 litres (if memory serves me).

Postby canadiandude » Wed 22 May, 2013 08:35

Hello all, brand new to the forum, I am hoping I can get some assistance with a problem I have.

Bought my home with the pool already in place. Noticed soon after that one side is not level. According to leveller it is approx 2 inches short. This had to do with the poor packing job of the foundation by the former owner who installed the pool (according to my neighbor). Now, I have a couple of questions to those who might know.

First, am I ever able to totally drain my pool and risk the liner collapsing? If so, for how long? My pool is approx 22 feet across, 30,000 litres if I remember correctly (based on a site I used to compute the volume).

Secondly. A much broader question, any advice for those in the know about tackling such a job? Risks, tips for packing the foundation, should I even ever attempt with an existing pool etc. I will be searching youtube to see if there are any videos that might shed some light.

All help is appreciated.

Cheers.

CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby CGPoolman » Wed 22 May, 2013 13:03

I'm sure there are some others on this board that can answer your questions a lot better than I can, but I can offer these tips:

How old is the liner? If it feels brittle and is faded, you may want to consider replacing the liner while you have the pool empty. If the liner is still flexible, you should be fine to empty the pool for the day while you re-level it.

Instead of a standard level, I would suggest renting a transit for the day and level the pool that way. It will be far more accurate.

Check under every pool upright - the uprights should have a patio block or something solid to sit on. Check for any broken or cracked blocks and replace where needed.

You really shouldn't need to pack the sand down too much to make a good bottom. If you have a trowel, just make the bottom as smooth as you can. The water weight of the pool should be able to do most of that for you.

Once you have the pool level and are ready to refill it, I like to use a shopvac on 2 sides of the pool and drop the hose behind the liner. You can remove the skimmer plate on one side and drop a hose in there, and on the opposite side just remove the toprail and liner track and drop the other hose there. The suction will help pull the liner back into place, and will make it easier to get the wrinkles out of the floor. Once the floor is all set, start filling the pool. You can remove the shopvacs once you have about 12-18 inches of water in the pool.

-CG
canadiandude
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Above ground, approx. 22 feet across, if I recall it is about 30,000 litres (if memory serves me).

Postby canadiandude » Wed 22 May, 2013 13:17

Hello poolman thanks for the information it's appreciated.

The liner seems to be in good shape/fairly new. No fading or wrinkles as yet.

I have read on other sites that it is not recommended to re-level, the suggestion is that I should take the entire pool down and re-level the entire pool. I know this is ideal, but I don't want more problems to occur if I attempt that as like most of us I am not a pool expert but an amateur, though levelling isn't rocket science so I feel we can handle that.

I should be ok to simply "top up" the one side 2" that has the downgrade right?

Thanks again.
canadiandude
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby canadiandude » Wed 22 May, 2013 14:12

Just to clarify, I figure I can either 1) pull the bottom liner out after draining the pool and topping up that area, or 2) draining it and lifting the pool by the uprights (which are attached to the stone base as you suggested) and literally holding it there while my the base gets packed.

The second solution at least allows me to incrementally rebuild the base while I can place it down and check the level every so often. In the sites I have posted there are pool installers who have given fairly creative advice and they don't seem too concerned, others are adamant that the entire pool needs to be taken down and reset; again, something I would not prefer to do.
CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby CGPoolman » Sat 25 May, 2013 11:43

I don't think you have to take down the entire pool to get the result you want. I would still suggest that you rent a transit and at least check every single upright. If you can level the pool by only resetting 4 or 5 uprights, then great! You may even find a couple that need just a minor adjustment. You may as well check them all while you have the liner out.

The process you describe should work out just fine - If using the transit, establish what your "level" measurement is then build up the low side until you get it where you need it to be.

Once the pool is drained, this process shouldn't take more than a few hours and a six pack. Once you know the pool is level and on a solid base, you probably won't have to worry about it ever again.

-CG
canadiandude
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby canadiandude » Tue 28 May, 2013 18:42

Alright sounds like something I can tackle once we get a good streak of weather. Thanks for all your help :D
mermaid

Postby mermaid » Tue 16 Jul, 2013 00:14

My intex metal frame pool is 4 inches off on one side. filled. After sand was layed & tampered down (dry) I put the liner down. I realize now I should have wet the sand. After filled the pool was off 2 inches but a large amount of rain caused one side to drop 4 inches. Pool is drained. Can I just dig out the 11 poles to drop them down? Please advise.

Return to “Liner & Above Ground Pools”