miscellaneous construction techniques.
SFBayArea
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 45' rectangular pool with spa for 6

Help me with Swimming pool and Spa Controlers

Postby SFBayArea » Tue 11 Jun, 2013 12:16

Hello guys and gals,

I am new to the forum and new to pools. I am building my first pool in the house that we just purchased this year. The pool is 45' long (want to do some laps in it) and it has spa attached to it for 6 people. The pool is still in the construction mode. Just yesterday they poured gunite. However, only yesterday i realized that without some kind of remote control I will have to walk all the time to the back of my house where the pumps and all of the equipment will be to turn on the lights, the heat, and the jets for the spa. In my head I always envisioned that all of these controls will be on the spa edge, like I've seen on the stand alone spa units. However, my contractor told me that it is not the case, the equipment I am getting in the contract is basic and if I want to add controller of some sort he will do it, but he told me that controller with remote control are very expensive will cost me another $2800. I was kind of shocked by that number.
I've been looking on the internet and got even more confused, because it seems that these controllers are sold in piece meal and not as a package.

Hence, the question, what exactly do I need to control, lights in the pool and spa, control heater in the spa and jets in the spa? Can you guys suggest some sort of package for my needs?

Thank you very much.

CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby CGPoolman » Wed 12 Jun, 2013 08:10

Hello,

I see a lot of Jandy Aqualink systems on the pools where I live, it seems like a pretty good setup. Most of the systems have 3 components: A master box out by the pump and filter, a smaller control panel inside the house, and you can also get a handheld remote control. Depending on how fancy you want to get, you can spend upwards of 1600 bucks for a remote system. I've never seen any major issues with the Jandy systems aside from a bad switch or relay here and there, which is a pretty inexpensive fix.

Pentair makes the Easy touch system, I think it costs around 1100 dollars. I've never personally worked with one so I can't vouch for how good it is, but Pentair products are typically pretty good quality.

-CG
SFBayArea
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby SFBayArea » Wed 12 Jun, 2013 11:00

CGPoolman wrote:Hello,

I see a lot of Jandy Aqualink systems on the pools where I live, it seems like a pretty good setup. Most of the systems have 3 components: A master box out by the pump and filter, a smaller control panel inside the house, and you can also get a handheld remote control. Depending on how fancy you want to get, you can spend upwards of 1600 bucks for a remote system. I've never seen any major issues with the Jandy systems aside from a bad switch or relay here and there, which is a pretty inexpensive fix.

Pentair makes the Easy touch system, I think it costs around 1100 dollars. I've never personally worked with one so I can't vouch for how good it is, but Pentair products are typically pretty good quality.

-CG

Thank you very much for the answer.

What about vents opening for the spa gas heater? My contractor told me that I either have to do it manually or controller system will turn those vents for me by push of a button, however, I can't figure out if I need any extra equipment for it.
DannaPoolsInc
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby DannaPoolsInc » Wed 12 Jun, 2013 11:26

Hi,

You can integrate the spa controls into the overall controller system. Call your pool contractor and do some independent research about controller systems so that you know the prices and compatibility when you go to buy one.
SFBayArea
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby SFBayArea » Wed 12 Jun, 2013 11:28

Thanks.

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”