Honey Bees Attracted to Pool Water

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
Alicia Acconcio
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Alicia Acconcio » Sat 22 Jun, 2013 03:58

What can I use to repel honey bees from swarming around the corner of a salt water swimming pool? Alicia Acconcio, Molokai, Hawaii

Postby Guest » Thu 10 Oct, 2013 03:17

Probably not a lot. Like all living creatures, bees need water too. Maybe fill a bucket with fresh water and place it away from the pool closer to their hive. (if you know where it is)
paulbest
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Re: Honey Bees Attracted to Pool Water

Postby paulbest » Mon 15 Aug, 2016 21:40

Honey bees need to collect water to use in their colony. They will tend to collect water from sources that have a pungent smell, because that is easier for the bees to relay the location to nest mates and allow the colony to collect more water. Moreover, it is believed by some experts that the minerals in the salt will actually attract bees! If you have a salt water swimming pool and are feeling frustrated because you have bees floating in your pool or bothering you while you swim, here are some tips to help you:

1. Provide bees their own little pool. Fill a shallow container with tiny stones, and keep it filled with water and a small amount of vinegar. The vinegar will attract the bees to the water and they will drink from the container instead of your pool.

2. Lemongrass and mint are both pleasant-smelling and well suited to growth in most pool areas. Maintaining a good amount of both plants will go a long way towards sending a “bees not welcome” scent signal to the neighborhood.

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”