Cyanuric acid loss

What is floc, clarifier, stabilizer, cyanuric acid,
algaecide, brightener, dichlor, sodium hypo,
sodium bisulfate, ....??
schwim

Cyanuric acid loss

Postby schwim » Mon 03 Jul, 2006 10:09

Finally, after about 3 months of battling with the pump/filter/salt system mfg to come out and fix my system, I have a clear pool The thing I am now worried about, however, is the pool's apparent inability to maintain a sufficient level of cyanuric acid. I've been told this is why I keep experiencing low chlorine levels and thus the pool gets green.

In the last 1.5 months, I've put in 11 pounds of stabilizer. The pool is 22,000 gallons. A week after the first 6 pounds, the level was 40. I added another 5 a week ago, and just had it checked again the yesterday. The cyanuric acid was again around 40.

It's been suggested that I have a leak in the pool somewhere. I do doubt this as my salt levels have *not* changed at all during this.

Any ideas?

PoolGuy
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

cyanuric acid

Postby PoolGuy » Thu 06 Jul, 2006 15:46

this should never go down,it is always at 30ppm. check your fillter,and also what chem are you adding in your pool ?
Worked and Bulit Pools,For 23 Years
me

Re: Cyanuric acid loss

Postby me » Sat 12 Aug, 2006 15:22

schwim wrote:Finally, after about 3 months of battling with the pump/filter/salt system mfg to come out and fix my system, I have a clear pool The thing I am now worried about, however, is the pool's apparent inability to maintain a sufficient level of cyanuric acid. I've been told this is why I keep experiencing low chlorine levels and thus the pool gets green.

In the last 1.5 months, I've put in 11 pounds of stabilizer. The pool is 22,000 gallons. A week after the first 6 pounds, the level was 40. I added another 5 a week ago, and just had it checked again the yesterday. The cyanuric acid was again around 40.

It's been suggested that I have a leak in the pool somewhere. I do doubt this as my salt levels have *not* changed at all during this.

Any ideas?

And if you had a leak all your other readings would change. After adding CYA give it some time to dissolve completely, usually 4 to 5 days. Don't backwash or vacuum during that period as you may be vacumming out the stuff. The only thing that eats CYA is melamine and airborne bacteria.

There may be something wrong with the test kit and/or tester. 7 pounds for your volume willl introduce 40 ppm of CYA so your numbers are good. Try another test kit and/or test person. The CYA test is notoriously hard to interpret and is not very very accurate.

Return to “Pool Chemical Problems & Swimming Pool Chemicals”