Swimming Insects

What is floc, clarifier, stabilizer, cyanuric acid,
algaecide, brightener, dichlor, sodium hypo,
sodium bisulfate, ....??
Melinda in Tennessee

Swimming Insects

Postby Melinda in Tennessee » Thu 06 Aug, 2009 21:13

I got in my pool today and got these creepy bugs in my pool and they were a blackish metallic greenish blue. I also got bit the day before. I can't get rid of these creepy things! HELP! :cry: :cry: :cry: :shock: :shock: :shock:

tstone

Swimming Insects

Postby tstone » Tue 16 Mar, 2010 08:29

there are a pest in my pool to. I go around in my neighborhood and i clear there pool of algea and the bugs. another way is to find a turtle (or use neighbors turtle) and chlorine remover and stick the turtle in your pool and it will eat them.

Swimming Insects

Postby Guest » Mon 12 Apr, 2010 18:12

I live in Sydney and i also have a large number of little bugs in my pool. The backswimmer/boatmen bugs that have been written about seem way too large for the ones in my pool. The ones i have are only about 1mm in length but have hundreds of them. They are too small for the regular pool net to fish out. Cant be any coincidence that when i first noticed them a couple of days ago the pool turned quite cloudy. Does anyone out there know about the ones im talking about?

KO
charlezangie

Swimming Insects

Postby charlezangie » Mon 17 May, 2010 17:06

I used dish liquid once...a whole bottle in 5000 gal pool. The pump ran all night and when i looked outside the next morning, it looked like a giant snocone...we laughed & laughed, so did the neighborhood. It did kill the bugs and no harm to the pool!!
Karen

Swimming Insects

Postby Karen » Thu 01 Jul, 2010 17:09

Hello! We live in upstate New York --- can someone please HELP us! We have very small white insects with wings floating on the top of our pool. They are too small to be caught in the skimmer and nets - they go through the nets! No one seems to know where they are coming from, what they are, or how to get rid of them. Can someone help us!!!

Swimming Insects

Postby Guest » Sat 10 Jul, 2010 19:18

Hi i have a pool and i find water bugs in it and im 11 and evr since i was small they been in my pool
i use to keep them , play with them , hold them , and one day wen me and my causen were holding them they bite her she said it feels like a sting :wtf: so eva since tht we left them alone and today me and my friend were catching them and like puting them in a jar and we scooshed one and it was gross and there alot of weird swimming bugs in my pool and once me and my cusn found lik a swimming rolliepollie looking one :evil: and wen we were looking for some 2day we looked and saw a frog in the drainer tht was dead and so gross -screams- :shock: and now we r looking and learning about them were scared to swim in pools , streams , and lakes
ps: we leared alot of gross , eww , freaky stuff
THERE REALY GROSS HELP MEH :shock: :?:

also meh grandma was wondering if u fart on them will they die ?ps : its ridicules :oops:

Swimming Insects

Postby Guest » Mon 02 Aug, 2010 21:17

Hello Bailey and everyone else: I live in Alabama and we have a 33 foot across above ground pool. We have had these dreaded back swimmers for two years now and still havnt found a way to get rid of them. Our pool is a ionized pool so NO chlorine. We catch and kill on an average 6 to 12 a day. I have found that when I raise our copper level up to very high levels the quanity of the pest reduces, but the side effect is green hair for anyone with fair hair. I also tried a chemical called Bug Out, this worked but the amount of phosphates in the pool caused even greener hair, and I had to empty out about 10,000 gallons of 30,000 gal water and add new calcium. That was a month ago and new larvey has hached The Bugs Are Back. HELP!!!!! Sorry Bailey I guess I am not much help either.
Kevman

Swimming Insects

Postby Kevman » Sun 19 Sep, 2010 11:22

I have been battling backswimmers in my pool for years and the only way I know to deal with them is fish them out and stomp them. I have literally seen them fly away. But I also found that my chickens find them quite tasty, so if they're near the pool, I flip the swimmers out to them and watch them go to town.
rodelz
I'm new here
I'm new here

Swimming Insects

Postby rodelz » Sun 16 Jan, 2011 01:47

I have thousands of these pesky bugs, mine swim right side up so they must be boatman. I just put 1/4 cup of morning fresh in the pool and they all went crazy coming up to the surface to breath, the oxygen won't stick to them so they can't stay under very long, no foaming in pool so the detergent acts as a surfactant so hopefully by tomorrow they will all be gone. I'll keep you posted. fingers crossed!!! :? :?

Swimming Insects

Postby Guest » Mon 17 Jan, 2011 09:52

rodelz wrote:I have thousands of these pesky bugs, mine swim right side up so they must be boatman. I just put 1/4 cup of morning fresh in the pool and they all went crazy coming up to the surface to breath, the oxygen won't stick to them so they can't stay under very long, no foaming in pool so the detergent acts as a surfactant so hopefully by tomorrow they will all be gone. I'll keep you posted. fingers crossed!!! :? :?

I have the same thing! I see you live near Melbourne - I think it is from the warm rains we had last week - went to the pool shop today and they said stacks of people had been in complaining of small bugs that bite in the pool. They gave me a sponge to put in the skimmer and tomorrow I'm going back to get some liquid that seals the surface of the pool (they were sold out of it today) - the two are supposed to work together - the bugs are revolting and it's the first time I have ever seen them in my pool. Hopefully this will sort them out else im also heading for the Morning Fresh
rodelz
I'm new here
I'm new here

Swimming Insects

Postby rodelz » Mon 17 Jan, 2011 19:16

Pool User wrote:
rodelz wrote:I have thousands of these pesky bugs, mine swim right side up so they must be boatman. I just put 1/4 cup of morning fresh in the pool and they all went crazy coming up to the surface to breath, the oxygen won't stick to them so they can't stay under very long, no foaming in pool so the detergent acts as a surfactant so hopefully by tomorrow they will all be gone. I'll keep you posted. fingers crossed!!! :? :?

I have the same thing! I see you live near Melbourne - I think it is from the warm rains we had last week - went to the pool shop today and they said stacks of people had been in complaining of small bugs that bite in the pool. They gave me a sponge to put in the skimmer and tomorrow I'm going back to get some liquid that seals the surface of the pool (they were sold out of it today) - the two are supposed to work together - the bugs are revolting and it's the first time I have ever seen them in my pool. Hopefully this will sort them out else im also heading for the Morning Fresh

They've gone!! :D :D I must admit I didn't just put the Morning Fresh, I also shock dosed and add about 100mls of Backup Algae Inhibitor and within 24hrs I've gone from thousands to just a few which I'm sure will be gone today. You're right I think about the rains as well as that we are experiencing a black water event in the Murray River because of all of the tannins in the water, this reduces the oxygen content of the water and makes it difficult for fish and underwater insects to breath. I have sighted several large Murray Cod belly up floating by, a very sad sight to see as these are the breeding stock. :(

Swimming Insects

Postby Guest » Mon 17 Jan, 2011 23:10

Mine are pretty much gone too! I added chlorine and algicide and then this product called no ducks which doesn't kill them but puts an invisible seal on the surface so that no more can get in the water and then for good measure I also put in detergent - I think that stuff whacks them - and I am running that filter like crazy and also trying to cool the pool - I recon they won't like colder water - so far so good.. i'm sorry to hear about the fish that's not good - these rains have practically wiped out everything mangoes, bananas are all going to go up again not to mention all those poor people in Queensland and Victoria
lisaa
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Swimming Insects

Postby lisaa » Wed 19 Jan, 2011 00:12

Same situation here, i got allergy on my hands and legs, I think the reason behind this will be those insects!

Swimming Insects

Postby Guest » Thu 27 Jan, 2011 06:16

Hi,

I live in Sydney, Australia and also work in a pool shop. There is a way to treat back swimmers. Theres a product on the market that changes the tension of the water surface, which won't let these little bugs come to the surface to get air, effectively drowning them. The product also makes the bugs that scoot around of the surface of the pool sink. The product is safe to use and safe to swim in. Here in Sydney its called No More Bugs by lo chlor.

Hope this helps... Kelly
Leeann

Swimming bugs

Postby Leeann » Mon 14 Mar, 2011 05:10

KimB wrote:I KNOW WHAT THESE ARE!!! I logged on to here in hopes of someone knowing how to get rid of them! They are called BACKSWIMMERS and from what I have seen online you really can't get rid of them!! They can fly and they are not effected by SHOCK because they breath air. They do bite and it says that it feels like a painful sting. I have netted a few of them and threw them out of the pool but at one time I witnessed one flying right back in!! this SO grosses me out!!! If anyone finds anything that might get rid of them please let me know!!!
Thanks.
Kim

Spray the whole surface of your pool with a mixture of dish soap (i use dawn) and water, the soap makes a film on top of the water and the bugs suffocate. After a few hours you should see the dead ones floating on top, start fishing them out. For good measure i dump them in a bucked of water with some baby oil in it and let them sit for a while longer. After that make sure you dose your pool regularly with algacide and brush the sides!!!!! Hope this helps!!!

Return to “Pool Chemical Problems & Swimming Pool Chemicals”