HIGH TA cloudy water~ any help?

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
cloudy pool
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18 ft x 48" ultra intex pool. New this year

Postby cloudy pool » Wed 26 Jun, 2013 16:13

HELP! I have a cloudy pool! It is an ultra intex 18' x 48"~ just turned cloudy a few days ago. We have had a lot of rain. Here are my numbers if you can please advise us!!

FC 2 ppm
CC none present
ph 7.2
TA 200 ppm
CH 180 ppm
CYA 30

our TA was higher about 5 days ago (225 ppm) and I have since added about 2 pounds of Sodium bisulfate (a pound this AM and about a pound this afternoon) just got this product yesterday~ I have been trying to keep the pump running as much a I can, I do un plug it for thunderstorms~ the pump is the one that came with the pool~ just a reg filter pump.

What do I need to do to clear our water back up! I was temped to use a floc but last year we used it on our other intex pool and it was too hard to vacuum it up, it kept dispersing~ please help! Is it safe for the kids to use when it is this cloudy? THANKS

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Thu 27 Jun, 2013 02:54

Just add chlorinating liquid or bleach (unscented, regular, NOT outdoor or splash-less) to raise the Free Chlorine (FC) level to 12 ppm to shock the pool and add more chlorine to keep the FC at 12 ppm until the pool starts to clear. Also run the filter 24/7. As you lower the FC back down after clearing starts, keep the pH lower, below 7.5.

Unfortunately, Intex pools often have lousy pumps and poor circulation so clearing can take some time. You may need to point the return diagonally downwards and brush the pool to bring up material from the bottom to the skimmer.
cloudypool

Postby cloudypool » Thu 27 Jun, 2013 21:27

THANKS for the info! I will try this! Before I left this AM (I had not seen your post)the water was much clearer~but still a little cloudy so I added another pound of Sodium Bisulfate~ when I got home the water was really clear! YAH~ I tested it and there is almost no readings~I added a gallon of my liquid pool chlorine and vacuumed and swept the pool as well as putting in a new filter~ I had been rinsing the old one, I will continue to rinse the new one several times a day as well. I will keep the pump running 24/7~can you tell me about how much liquid chlorine I will need? I hate to add way too much, but I have to add too little~ THANK YOU for your help!
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Fri 28 Jun, 2013 12:02

Use The Pool Calculator to calculate dosing. Your target Free Chlorine (FC) level depends on your Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level where you don't want the FC to be any lower than 7.5% of the CYA level. For shocking, the FC should be around 40% of the CYA level, but since your pool is clearing and there's no visible green algae you can just maintain your chlorine level at this point and not get up to shock level.

I assume you have a proper test kit, either the TFTestkits TF-100 or the Taylor K-2006 with the former having more volume of the reagents you use the most so is more economical.

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”