What does this sound like - Please help

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
adele244
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Aquaworld 12' round (currently inground) above/inground pool with Intex cartridge pool filter

Postby adele244 » Sun 30 Jun, 2013 14:40

Hi, Last year I had an algea problem, water went green managed to get rid, but it left a very fine sand like substance which I couldnt vacum with either the water hose pipe (as it just seeped out of the bag) or the pump filter as it kept coming back through the return. Eventually I had to drain it all.

Now this year, I have the same like fine sand (although I dont think it is algae as the water never went green, plus I have been treating with algaecide) I really dont want to drain the pool so early.
does anyone have any ideas what it could be or mainly how to remove it -

I so wish my filter had a "waste" but it doesnt. Nothing can catch the fine dust/sand. Please help :thumbup:

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 01 Jul, 2013 03:15

Have you tried adding a clarifier to your pump basket?
adele244
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Aquaworld 12' round (currently inground) above/inground pool with Intex cartridge pool filter

Postby adele244 » Mon 01 Jul, 2013 03:37

No I havent. I shall go out and get some to see if that helps. (I must have more pool chemicals in my garage than a pool shop) I suppose one more to the collection wont hurt! Thanks Dennis
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 01 Jul, 2013 04:05

Hi Adele (that's my daughters name)

I have cut down on the different chemicals that I hold
Sodium hypochlorite (Liquid Chlorine ) Bleach
Hydrochloric acid (Muriatic Acid)
Clarifier
I also have an air pump for aeration (from a pond store)
As my pool is in the UK, it is covered and I don't get chlorine loss through sunlight so I need to add stabiliser after a refill
adele244
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby adele244 » Wed 10 Jul, 2013 16:08

Hi Dennis,Thanks for you reply. I have now discovered that the clanger I dropped was buying floc (even though it was recomended by the pool store.) I now know this should only be used if you can vacuum to waste (which I cant do) But the clarifier can be used with a cartridge filter which is just what I need. Infact it has arrived today, I have just done the pool with algaecide tonight so will use the clarifyer tomorrow. Will let you know how I get on. Dennis, you sound like you have your chemicals sorted my list is:-
Ph Minus, Ph Plus, Algaecide, Shock chlorine granuals, Floc, Clarifier, Large 200g stabilzed chlorine tabs for floating dispenser, Winterising solution. Im sure more will be added. I do need a pump for aeriating thne pool, as the alkininty is high but ph is spot on, and I read that aereation is the only cure for this. Do you agree with this Dennis? How do you get on with the liquid chlorine?
By the way, at least now with famous singer Adele - everyone now knows how to spell my name!! Ha ha they didnt before. Thanks Dennis x
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 10 Jul, 2013 17:11

Hi Adele

My daughter has been called Odele

I fully agree that acid and aeration is the best way. It definately works for me
My liquid chlorine is 14% to 15% sodium hypochlorite and I put in about 300ml a day
If I miss a couple of days I check it and add 300ml per 1ppm to bring it up to 3 or 4ppm
By regular testing you will know how much you lose each day
You can also use up your shock as chlorine
I would check your stabiliser level and use up your stabilized chlorine tabs
I still have some PH plus and PH minus which I shall probably give away to some one who is still using it

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”