Shock pool without clouding it up

Chlorinating, maintaining the right chlorine levels,
chlorine problems. Dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo, bleach,
granules, chlorine pucks and chlorine sticks.
keysrawk
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby keysrawk » Wed 03 Jul, 2013 09:42

I just increased total alkilinity and added some calcium after heavy rains here in Wisconsin. 20'x40' 30,000 gallon in ground pool with vinyl liner, sand filter, and in-line chlorinator.

For some reason FC reads 0 now, pool water is currently crystal clear. I've had this issue in the past so I usually just supercholrinate and get on with life. However, tomorrow is the 4th of July and I have guests coming over to swim. If I superchlorinate with granual packets broadcasted across the pool, the water usually stays cloudy for a day or two even with the filter running continuously. I don't want to run this risk with company coming over.

For now, I just added 1 packet of granual chlorine shock to limp by. But my question is: what can I do to make sure my water stays clear for the next 24-48 hours for swimmers? And can I add chlorine without supercholrinating to keep the water clear yet chlorinated? Should I just put liquid chlorine in it for now to get through the party since that might not cloud it up as much as granuals?

Thanks for any quick help on this.

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Wed 03 Jul, 2013 23:17

Cal-Hypo granules increase Calcium Hardness (CH) so can cloud a pool that is already saturated with calcium carbonate. I'd just add chlorinating liquid or bleach to get the Free Chlorine (FC) to at least a minimum of 7.5% of the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level to prevent algae growth -- shoot for 2-3 ppm FC higher if you won't add chlorine again by the next day or two.

Return to “Chlorine”