Pentair 4000 filter leaks after re-assembly

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
SJCLeafs
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Salt water, 15000 gallons, pebble teck pentair 4000 de filter, pumps for pool/spa, water fall, and sheer descents

Postby SJCLeafs » Tue 23 Jul, 2013 11:57

After cleaning the grids and re-assembling the filter it leaks. I've replaced the gasket, lubricated it, ensure the top of the filter was seated properly, tightened the belt as far as it will go and still it leaks??

CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby CGPoolman » Tue 23 Jul, 2013 20:07

SJCLeafs,

Those tank o-rings are a pain in the ballz! I cringe every time I have to open up an older filter because most of the time I end up having to replace the o-ring too.

Remove the gasket and make sure all the surfaces that contact the gasket are clean on the top and bottom half of the tank, and give them a good coating of pool lube.

Is the gasket rubbing black onto your fingers? If it is, the gasket is bad and needs to be replaced. Also make sure the o-ring fits tight around the tank. If it is too loose, it can pinch up when you tighten that collar on and cause leaks.

-CG
SJCLeafs
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Salt water, 15000 gallons, pebble teck pentair 4000 de filter, pumps for pool/spa, water fall, and sheer descents

Postby SJCLeafs » Tue 23 Jul, 2013 21:12

Ok, good suggestions, thanks. I bought a new o ring this time, cleaned all the grit and STILL it leaked...any tricks to getting the top to seat properly??
CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby CGPoolman » Wed 24 Jul, 2013 08:48

There's no real "tricks" to getting the lid down. Typically I put a real good layer of pool lube on both halves of the tank, seat my o-ring and squish the top of the tank on. You can push on the top of the tank to make sure it sits even. Once you tighten the collar it should pull the top of the lid down into place.

-CG
splash

Postby splash » Wed 24 Jul, 2013 08:50

If you replaced the tank O-ring and it still leaks its the tank strap that needs to be replaced. I would guess this is a Hayward filter, know they have improved them so this stops happening.
splash

Postby splash » Wed 24 Jul, 2013 08:56

Ooops Pentair 4000, its a half & half double bolted strap which can still need replacing as when they are working correct they should not tighten all the way together on both side at the nuts.
SJCLeafs
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby SJCLeafs » Wed 24 Jul, 2013 19:03

Ok Splash, thanks. That makes sense. And to think I was excited that I was able to tighten enough to bring both parts together!! I'll try that.

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”