Help! New to pools with brown pool dust!

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
frusteratedinNJ
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 13 ft, 2400 gallon summer escapes pool for the kids

Help! New to pools with brown pool dust!

Postby frusteratedinNJ » Mon 29 Jul, 2013 07:00

We bought our very first pool this year for the kids, a Summer Escapes 13 inch, 2400 gallon (maybe 2200- can't remember). Anyway, we had an issue about a week ago, where the pool water had a slight greenish tint to it. Had the water tested, got the PH and alkalinity adjusted, shocked it a couple times, added algaecide and what's left is a brown dust in piles at the bottom. The water however is crystal clear. The pool has a filter you replace every 2 weeks. Since this brown dust has appeared, I have to rinse the filter every hour to get all the brown muck off of it, and let the water flow clear in the filter area itself. I do this all day long for 8+ hours, and it's showing no difference. (about a week now been doing this). The fine particles are so small that they run right through the vacuum mesh bag (it's a cheap $15 hose powered vacuum with a mesh bag on top that collects the dirt). Swishing the water around looks like it helps, however hours later, the dust settles again. It never goes away. I read where someone suggested a sock with a rubber band on the filter going back into the pool. I will attempt to try that today but it requires getting into the pool. The space around the hose going into the pool is not that big so I am wondering if I will be able to get a rubber band around it.
So we've had our very first pool a little over a month and I am ready to take it down for the season. I see pictures of people's pools that are so clean and I want my pool like that!! Is there a chemical that will dissolve this brown dust? Help!

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”