No Vaccum Side

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
tbone
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: In ground, 25k gallon, retangle.

No Vaccum Side

Postby tbone » Tue 30 Jul, 2013 09:58

Hi, new pool owner at our new home. Its rectanglular and in ground. Standing at shallow end and facing pool, return is right in front of me and skimmer is on left wall. On the right wall is what is currently, another auxillary return the way it is plumbed. It is connected to a Polaris auxillary pump. The question I have is that not supposed to be plumbed to be a vaccum side? What is the benefit of running an auxillary pump with an additional return? Can I just change the plumbing on the auxillary pump from in to out and vice versa with no danger to change it to a vaccum side? Many Thanks!!

CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

No Vaccum Side

Postby CGPoolman » Thu 01 Aug, 2013 11:45

Hello TBone,

You may get a few differing opinions on this but here's mine. For me it's about saving money.

If you are no longer going to use the Polaris cleaner, I would disconnect the Polaris booster pump and re-plumb that line into the return line of your pool. Then, you can just put an "eyeball" fitting over the cleaner port inside the pool and use it as another return. It will improve pool circulation.

If you re-route the Polaris line into your suction lines, you'll just have to add another valve that will allow you to adjust the suction into the cleaner line. This will be a bit more plumbing, and also be more expensive.

If you are looking to use a suction cleaner, just get one that plugs into the skimmer. Chances are you already have some sort of 3 way valve or ball valve that will allow you to adjust the suction between the skimmer and the main drain without having to make any further modifications to your setup.

-CG
tbone
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: In ground, 25k gallon, retangle.

No Vaccum Side

Postby tbone » Sat 10 Aug, 2013 08:38

Thank you so much. Makes sense and I'm thinking aobut it for next year. I think I'll just ride out this season as everything seems to be working at par. We have a lot of trees so more skimming circulation would be better. Thanks, Tony

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”