Filter after forest fire

Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
db_blazer314

Filter after forest fire

Postby db_blazer314 » Thu 01 Aug, 2013 22:07

I'm in Palm Springs,CA and we had a forest fire in the mountains that dropped a lot of ash in the pool...and everywhere....Now my filter cartridges seem to be getting clogged up even two hours after cleaning. They were making it several weeks between cleanings....Do I need to replace them? Is there something I can do to get them cleaner?

CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Filter after forest fire

Postby CGPoolman » Fri 02 Aug, 2013 07:16

DB,

You could try to acid-soak the cartridge and see if that helps.

Safety first - make sure you have long pants and sleeves on - rubber gloves and some goggles too!!

Get a plastic container tall enough to submerge the whole filter (trash can usually works pretty good). Fill the container with about 2 gallons of muriatic acid and the rest water. Carefully place the filter in the container. You should see the filter fizz and bubble within a minute or 2. Let it soak for at least 24 hours. Give it a very thorough rinsing and put it back in the filter. This should improve the performance of the filter. If it doesn't, you most likely need to replace the cartridge.

Hope this helps!

-CG
TSH Tech

Filter after forest fire

Postby TSH Tech » Fri 02 Aug, 2013 09:55

Fire ash is the worst. I still remember the San Diego fires and the destruction it caused.

Pool filters will clog up in nothing flat, as you are finding out. The best way to get the ash out is the use a Flocculant, let the dust settle and with a portable vacuum pump, vacuum the pool. Let the water discharge into the sewer(I imagine Palm Springs is very strict about waste discharge). Then refill your pool and let the filter clear up the pool.
db_blazer314

Filter after forest fire

Postby db_blazer314 » Tue 22 Oct, 2013 01:17

I finally bought new filter cartridges and they are working just fine...

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”