Leaking fitting - caulk or replace

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Cygnusx197
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Cygnusx197 » Mon 12 Aug, 2013 19:55

I have an inground pool that had a leak from a line leading into the jet.
After replacing the hose, cracking the T and replacing that, we fixed the leak, but created a new one - probably from all the yanking we did on the hoses to get them apart.

The attached shows where it's leaking slowly from now.

Sorry, I don't know the name of the part, but it doesn't have facets to get a wrench on to pull it out and replace.
Can I just seal it with a bead of PVC glue or caulking or something, or am I going to be digging it up again next year?

Thanks - just sick of fighting with this thing.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (80.7 KiB) Viewed 1551 times

CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby CGPoolman » Wed 14 Aug, 2013 07:07

Cygnusx,

Is this a concrete pool? Hard to tell from the photo. If it is, there is no easy way to remove that return fitting from the wall. Most likely it would need to be drilled out. This is not easy, and its not cheap either.

Looking at your photo it looks like it is leaking from where the fitting meets the concrete? I would suggest draining the pool below the leak to make sure the fitting is dry. Clean as much material away from the fitting as possible. You can wrap the fitting with some AB epoxy putty, you might be able to fill the crack in and stop the leak. If you can reach the crack from the inside, patch it that way too. AB putty works under water, but I would give the putty a good 24-48 hours to really cure and bond into place before refilling the pool.

You could also try Marine epoxy (it comes in a syringe) instead of the putty. It has more of a liquid type consistency and would flow into the crack easier than pressing the putty in there. Again, make sure the fitting is clean and dry and give it plenty of cure time before refilling the pool.

If that doesn't stop the leak, next thing I would do is plug the fitting from the inside, and cap off the fitting from the outside and operate the pool with one less jet.

-CG

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”