Pool Chemical Help Please

What is floc, clarifier, stabilizer, cyanuric acid,
algaecide, brightener, dichlor, sodium hypo,
sodium bisulfate, ....??
B77

Postby B77 » Sun 01 Sep, 2013 17:14

Hello! We have a 12'x3' above ground, we cannot get the chemicals to adjust properly.

PH is 8.4
Chlorine is 5
Alkalinity is 180
Stabilizer is 30-50, which is ok according to our testing sticks.

The PH, chlorine and alkalinity we cannot get in the "ok" range. Any suggestions?

Thank you!!

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 03 Sep, 2013 15:27

Use Muratic acid to lower your TA and PH
If the PH goes to low aerate to raise the PH alone
Chlorine isn't a problem as it will go down quite quickly
Stabilisor seems OK
free info

Postby free info » Wed 04 Sep, 2013 20:38

know when you use test strips and the chlorine is high it bleachs out your PH reading making it look super high. Buy a test kit they come with instructions that will help you further. One thing with small above ground pools dont use to much acid as it can cause problems. Go test your water where you filled it from and check it and see what the readings show because if you just filled it within the last month or so for summer your probably fine.
emilyvluther1

Postby emilyvluther1 » Fri 04 Oct, 2013 07:18

A swimming pool is a place for you to enjoy and relax. You don't want to risk the health of yourself, your friends and family. So regularly sanitize and clean the pool.While keeping the swimming pool clean, don't forget about maintaining the pH level. A slightly alkaline level between pH 7.4-pH 7.6 is just right for the swimmers and the pool.For more information Read here
Addz the Pool Guru

Postby Addz the Pool Guru » Thu 10 Oct, 2013 02:52

Being an above ground pool I will assume its manually chlorinated??

If so and you use Liquid Chlorine - Liquid Chlorine has a high natural PH.

Total Alk is way too high to be able to control the PH. It needs to be around the 110ppm range.

Also, the strips are never very accurate. They are fine as a guage but are rarely correct. I recommend the 4 in 1 test kit.

The is no answer to "how much chlorine do i add each time". If someone says "300ml every day" they are guessing and putting your safety at risk. It depends on the weather, bather load, chemical balance etc.

You need to be testing your pool daily from home and adding chemicals accordingly.

Your stabilizer is fine.

***Be aware that certain chlorines and most chlorine tablets contain stabilizer. Its a great product but you may need to switch if/when stabilizer level increases.
***hint....to lower high chlorine without uv or chemicals.....throw the dog in for 10 mins :)

I hope this helps in some way.

Addz

Return to “Pool Chemical Problems & Swimming Pool Chemicals”