Hi New to the Forum Couple Questions

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
killie77
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 11 feet by 9 feet
and about 4 feet deep. Has Speck Porpoise Pump 90/16
And Speck Sand Filter

Postby killie77 » Wed 04 Sep, 2013 06:31

Hello
Came across the Forum this afternoon hope I can get some answers to a couple problems.
First off I have to admit to never owning a Poll until now.We recently emigrated from The Uk to South Africa
The house we bought came with a Splash Pool,all went well until we realised after switching on the Pump that not much was happening. The Filter was not filling with water and their appeared to be a leak from the back of the Pump. I removed the Pump separated The Filter housing from the Pump body couple of the seals looked a bit worn took them down to a local Pool store. Was going to replace them then thought Pump looked quite old
Might as well get a new one with warranty etc.
Back home I went installed the new pump everything seemed fine the Kreepy Krawley was moving the Jets in the pool were working Problem solved NO. There was only minimal suction so checked all the Joins applied new PTF Tape still not getting much suction
called in a POOl repair guy who diagnosed the Elbow joint at the bottom of the Weir I think thats what its called. So they dug it up Pipe wasn't broken but the PTF tape had long rotted a away so new Elbow and Short length of Pipe much more suction Kreepy Crawley at last moving round the POOl.
Yesterday after examine the KK i noticed the Rubber Skirt seemed bit loose and worn out back to the Builders Warehouse they sell them their. Looking around they had some Sales on so bought a TIger Shark KK
used it this morning just sits in the Pool tried a few adjustments it moves about 9 feet then gives up put the Old one back it moves more than the new one but not by much
So im back to square one have tried angling the Jets changing hose length adding and removing weights
Im out of ideas at the moment
Apologise for the long first Post
Thanks
Ian H

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 04 Sep, 2013 07:13

Hi

I have never heard of PTFE rotting and the fact that it was replaced and was better does look as if you are sucking air in from somewhere, seeing as you have a new KK I would rule that out
A new pump won't have any leaf debris in it yet
Does the pump basket stay full of water when running the vacuum, if not Silicon grease the "O" ring that seals the basket lid to the pump and check other joints for sucking in air
killie77
I'm new here
I'm new here
And Speck Sand Filter

Postby killie77 » Wed 04 Sep, 2013 07:37

Hi
Thanks fro the advice. I think the filter is not getting enough water level but will try some silicone on the seal see if that helps. Surprised me as well when I looked at the PTFE tape on the elbow joint it was a kind of yellowish white don't know how long it had been in their.
Trying to get the new KK Tiger shark to work at the moment its just sitting at the bottom of the Pool. If nothing else it's giving me a Hobby of sorts trying to figure out how to fix it :)
Thanks again
Ian H
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 04 Sep, 2013 08:05

It's very unlikely that it will work untill you have sorted the poor vacuum
With the vacuum disconnected is there a good suction and flow out of the return jets.
If so the filter is full and returning the water.
Vacuuming puts an extra load on the suction and that's when air can get sucked in
killie77
I'm new here
I'm new here
And Speck Sand Filter

Postby killie77 » Wed 04 Sep, 2013 08:54

Hi
When the Pump starts up the flow and return jets seem to work well plenty of bubbles and the water shoots out for about a foot. after couple of minutes this dies down only one jet keeps pushing out water but not as much as when the pump starts up.
Tried replacing the Filter lid with the one from the Old Pump this seems to increase water flow in the Filter
think the new one wasn't giving as good a seal its a 2 part device the old one is one unit.
Had the Tiger Shark working for a while their, keeps getting stuck in alternate corners. Noticed that if you lift it on to a ledge to try and get it o clean it, the head seems to rise 45 Degrees will not sit flat on the surface presume not enough suction ?
Ian H
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 04 Sep, 2013 11:43

Hi

If you are getting bubbles out of your return jets then you are sucking air in
It must prime initially blow out the air then suck in more air and then stop the circulation
Does the pump strainer basket empty out as this is the most obvious place for air to be sucked in
Have you tried silicone grease to seal the "O" ring
killie77
I'm new here
I'm new here
And Speck Sand Filter

Postby killie77 » Wed 04 Sep, 2013 11:58

Hi
Got it back to the front it blows air out some bubbles etc then about five minutes later just idles a bit
hope that makes sense. Checked all the filters not much in any of them going out tomorrow to get some silicone grease. Have had the KK working but it always goes in to the corner and stays their .
I'm wondering if thats due to the number of hoses have 4 at the moment would a hose weight help and if so where should i put it in relation to the skimmer
Thanks again for all the advice
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 04 Sep, 2013 12:12

Hi

When you have the correct suction you may find the KK works better. You could try shortening the length of the hose so that it doesn't get into the corners

You could try Vaseline (petroleum jelly) as a temporary lubricant on the "O" ring to see if it works before getting the silicone grease

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”