brown cloudy water

Stains on the pool surfaces, pool equipment
or on the swimmers, or off-color swimming pool
water. Discolored but clear pool water.
rgplumbs

brown cloudy water

Postby rgplumbs » Sun 09 Jul, 2006 18:11

chlorine is high water is brown and stained fiberglass can you help. water test show high chlorine.

Walter
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby Walter » Mon 10 Jul, 2006 07:53

well water?
We are a custom pool and spa builder. We can only offer suggestions with the information given. Don't hesitate to email me if you have a questions and I will answer it as best as I can or point you in the right direction.
sapper
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby sapper » Sun 03 Jun, 2007 09:11

Hi Walter, I have a problem with my pool and need advice. It measures 8 metres by 4 metres and is 1.5 metres deep, it is a vinyl liner.
For two years now everything has been fine, a few weeks ago I had a solar heating panel fitted. This morning the water in the pool had turned a dirty yellowy brown and seems to be getting darker. I have noticed that the solar panel installation company have used several what appear to be iron or steel connections on the heat exchanger. From your experience do you think this is the reason for the rapid change from clear blue to murky brown water? Or could it be something else ?
We live in Bulgaria and workmanship is not always A1. I would very much appreciate the opinion of an expert.
Jack Parker ,Zlatitsa Bulgaria
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Sun 03 Jun, 2007 13:24

Have your water tested for metals.
Walter
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby Walter » Mon 04 Jun, 2007 10:08

I would also have to say metals, have your water tested for it. You wouldn't really notice it before but with an exchanger in you would because of the reastion with the water. Also make sure you stay on top of your chemical levels, because the metal on the exchanger is not forgiving and when they are out of balance it wears the exchanger down fast. Good Luck
We are a custom pool and spa builder. We can only offer suggestions with the information given. Don't hesitate to email me if you have a questions and I will answer it as best as I can or point you in the right direction.
sapper
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby sapper » Mon 04 Jun, 2007 15:50

Thanks Walter and Buggsw. We have discovered that the heat exchanger is made from black iron? whatever that is. Anyway the long and short of it is, it's being changed to a stainless steel one. I have drained the pool completely today and thoroughly cleaned walls, floor, skimmer and behind the lights. I am just in the process of refilling, tomorrow I intend to back wash to waste the filter, and hope this will cure it. Will take your advice and get a test done, it's a two or three hour drive to our nearest pool shop.
Many thanks.Jack (in darkest Bulgaria!) :D
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Tue 05 Jun, 2007 00:08

Get yourself a good and complete test kit, so you don't have to drive that far. If you don't keep a sample refrigerated, it won't be accurate by that time, anyway.

Keeping your pH too low and your calcium too low will cause heaters to do that.

Return to “Pool Surface Staining & Discolored Pool Water”