Broken backwash slide valve

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
gurnman
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 20000 gallon pebble tec salt pool

Postby gurnman » Tue 01 Oct, 2013 20:24

Hellow,

I have a pentair 60 DE filter with a backwash slide valve. The bottom of the two o-ring valves snapped off the shaft of the slide valve. It is not sitting in the bottom of the PVC plumbing - mine makes a 90 degree turn at the bottom to which a backwash hose is attached. I have all new parts but..... how do I get that darn bottom valve out of the PVC pipe? the goal is for it to be snug, so I don't see any way to get it out other than cut open my PVC plumbing. Thoughts? help!
thanks
gurnman

gurnman
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby gurnman » Tue 01 Oct, 2013 20:25

sorry - meant to say that it IS sitting in the bottom of the PVC plumbing (should have typed "now" instead of "not")
thanks
:P
CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby CGPoolman » Wed 02 Oct, 2013 08:02

Hi Gurnman,

Any chance you could provide a photo? If it is the valve I am thinking of, the elbow at the bottom is the backwash line, so it shouldn't be a major job to cut it off if you need to.

You should be able to remove the top of the valve and pull the guts out - this might allow you to fish it out without cutting into any pipes.

-CG
gurnman
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby gurnman » Wed 02 Oct, 2013 10:44

I can try to get a decent photo but having trouble getting enough light to illuminate the piece because one is looking down the backwash PVC piping to the broken piece at the base (kind of a dark tube). I have removed the whole top portion of the backwash slide valve - so the PVC Pipe has nothing in it except for the broken-off bottom valve. Yes, it is sitting in the elbow at the bottom. I can start cutting into the PVC, but just hoping to avoid that as I will then have to replumb the elbow. And, there is not a lot of room where that elbow comes off the whole backwash plumbing, so it will be a pain to get that rebuilt.

As for fishing it out......the valve is designed to be "tight" fitting. So, even if I had something long enough with a very strong pincer grip at the end, pulling it out is not possible. It will jam after moving about 1 inch in either direction (towards top or towards the backwash exist). Of course, that is the point of the valve :)

I can disconnect the filter drum from the backwash plumbing. The lower of those two connections gets me closer but still faced with trying to pull something out that is designed to be very tight fitting within the plumbing. If there was some way to actually break or crush the snapped off valve then the parts would easily come out with a bit of water pressure. But, I haven't thought of anything that would break it without also breaking my plumbing (acid to eat away the o-ring?).
Ugh.
CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby CGPoolman » Thu 03 Oct, 2013 07:58

Gurnman,

The best advice I can offer would be this - cut the elbow off flush at the bottom of the valve to remove the broken piece of the valve. To re-assemble the PVC, use a "pipe extender" if there isn't enough pvc to glue in a new elbow or coupling. This piece is made to fit inside the pipe and gives you enough PVC so you can slip a new elbow over it. This would allow you to cut off the pvc without having too much hassle to re-do the plumbing. You don't sound very keen on having to replace the plumbing but I don't think you have much option here.

-CG
gurnman
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby gurnman » Thu 03 Oct, 2013 15:58

all, thanks for thoughts. believe it or not, in the end I got it out without having to cut into PVC though the method was a bit brute. through the backwash outlet in the bottom, I would get a long (12 inch) spade drill bit. from the top, I used a long wooden rod to jam the old valve in place. Then, I punched a bunch of holes in the valve with the spade bit (1/4 inch). my first thought was that this would weaken it until it just snapped in half and then it would easily be extracted from the bottom. However, it wouldn't break (hard plastic). However, after it was punched full of holes, I put a hanger wire down the top, through one of the holes.... jiggered it until the hanger wire actually made the 90 turn and emerged from the backwash outlet. put a crimp in the wire and pulled everything out the top. sheesh. well, it worked and I now have a new backwash slide valve in and running without having to replumb anything. Not entirely clear which is easier, but this was my solution. May it help others :crazy:
CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby CGPoolman » Fri 04 Oct, 2013 08:38

Hey, whatever works! Glad you got it worked out! :thumbup: :thumbup:

-CG

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”