Can't keep Alkalinity in check

Problems relating to pH and total alkalinity.
Increase ph, increase TA. Reduce pH, reduce TA.
pH chemistry advice and techniques for the pool.
malibupacific
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 16,000 gallon salt water pool

Postby malibupacific » Thu 26 Dec, 2013 14:42

This past February we re-plastered our pool with quartz. It's a 16,000 gallon salt water pool. Ph is in the 7.4-7.8 range. Calcium 195. Total hardness about 425. Current Alk is 155. The pool has several half submerged granite rocks. If I add 2 gallons of muriatic acid I can bring the Alk down to maybe 100. Within a few days it is back up to 140-160. I've been doing this for months. I slowly pour the acid in a circle in the deep end of the pool and then after an hour I turn on the pump. It seems to me like I'm using way too much acid. Also the total hardness seems way too high. According to the water company the hardness is between 100-200. Alkalinity 75-100 and TDS 290-500. The local pool stores are of no help. I've been told everything from using a water softener to aerating the water - to draining and refilling the pool.

Update: I read on line something that sounds promising. The post said to add MA until the Ph drops to 7.0. Aerate the pool until the Ph goes back up to 7.4 - then keep repeating the process until the TA drops to where you want it to be.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 28 Dec, 2013 11:50

The update you that you quoted at the end is the best way to control TA. Reduce TA to the correct level with MA and then aerate to bring the PH up (I use the same method with no problems)
I wouldn't leave the acid to lay in the pool and then switch on the pump in fact you should brush it about so that it dilutes quicker while the pump is running a better way is to pour it slowly over a return to mix more thoroughly

The fact that after a few days it's back high again may be due to another source
How do you bring your PH back up again after treating with MA?
I can't comment on the granite rocks as I don't know but others will, then i'll know as well

Return to “pH & Total Alkalinity”