Pentair Quad DE: replace bottom tank or entire filter?

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
CarlsbadCalling
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: about 12000 gallons
Pentiar Quad DE 100
Magna Sweep

Postby CarlsbadCalling » Thu 02 Jan, 2014 20:29

The bottom tank on my Pentair Quad has a crack in it. I will not be patching it up. The unit is 6 years old. Pentair used to have a 10 year warranty on the body, but in 2004 went to a 1 year warranty like the rest of the industry. I will not be doing the labor on my own. A new Quad is about $900. A new bottom tank is about $300. Should I just replace the bottom tank or the entire filter? Any suggestions are welcome, and thanks!

CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby CGPoolman » Fri 03 Jan, 2014 08:41

300 bucks is a decent price for the tank bottom. If the rest of the filter is in good shape, I would go ahead and just replace the bottom tank. No need to spend the extra $$$ if you don't have to. If you unscrew the 2 unions on the filter valve, you should be able to slide the old filter out and the new tank bottom should line right up to it. Be sure to replace the tank o-ring while you have it all apart.

-CG
CarlsbadCalling
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: about 12000 gallons
Pentiar Quad DE 100
Magna Sweep

Postby CarlsbadCalling » Fri 03 Jan, 2014 19:38

Thanks for taking the time to write! If I can perform the labor, it is well worth just purchasing the bottom tank. I'll price shop now, and I will follow your advice about replacing the tank o-ring. Thanks again!

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”