Should I run my pool pump?

Tips and problems concerning filling new pools.
Spring pool opening and fall pool closing.
Seasonal pool maintenance tips & advice.
Floridapool
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Floridapool » Mon 13 Jan, 2014 14:16

I live in Florida, and again this week, it is supposed to get pretty cold at night. I don't close my pool down in the winters, it never gets cold enough to do so here. (Usually!) I was told to run my pump last week, when it was around 18-20 degrees at night. (I rent) On Wed, thru Mon it is supposed to be around 30, 32,37 degrees again on nights. My question is...Should I again run my pump at night, so the pipes don't freeze up? I know that at 32 water freezes, so even on the 35 and 37 degree nights, should I still run it, to be safe? Thanks! It's just that the pump is loud, and my neighbors are so close to it. I don't want to make them mad. And my landlord doesn't care if its loud for them or not. I just feel bad. So any nights that I can not run it, and be okay, I want to do.

CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby CGPoolman » Tue 14 Jan, 2014 13:24

Hi There,

On those few occasions we get below freezing in Florida, the temp doesn't stay down long enough to freeze the pool surface, much less freeze the water in the pipes or the pump. In 15 years working on pools in Florida, I've never seen it. Unless the temp is going to stay below freezing for a couple of days straight you're OK to leave it off at night and not worry. Most pool temps get down in the low 50's on the coldest days, not nearly cold enough to damage your pump.

On a side note - If the motor is that loud that it is bothering the neighbors, your landlord should consider replacing the pump motor before the pump dies completely.

-CG
Floridapool
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Floridapool » Tue 14 Jan, 2014 17:58

THANK YOU!!!! I asked the pool store, and they said the same thing you did! Thanks again!

Return to “Opening / Closing / Winterizing the Pool”