Pool Water Surface Cloudy

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
umphreak
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 15,000 gallon indoor pool w/ 1000 gallon spa.

Hayward Goldline Salt System

Pool Water Surface Cloudy

Postby umphreak » Tue 28 Jan, 2014 12:50

Hi-

New to pools and this forum. I just purchased a house a few months back that has an indoor pool. It's a 15,000 gallon salt water pool and 1000 gallon spa. I had it replastered (which is a whole different story for another thread) and just added salt a week or two ago.

I balance my chemicals on a daily or every other day basis. After replastering, the levels were off on a daily basis. Its settled down a bit. A problem has occurred recently with my salt cell. It works temporarily and then just shuts off. Strangely enough, I can "superchlorinate" and its stays on. Salt reading ranges from 3400 to 3500, but my pool guy says its not reading correctly and is in the 3800 range (hence why its shutting off). I need to fill my spa soon, so I figure when I add the water i'll be able to dilute the main pool enough to lower the salt levels. Otherwise i'll need to remove a bunch of water to dilute. Lesson learned on trusting salt bag tables.

So my chorine level after supercholorinating for 24 hrs is barely over 1 ppm. Seems oddly low after superclorinating. I've also been dealing with a strange film on the surface of the pool for a week now. The water seems clear--though there are some bits floating here and there (but not really that much at all). You really can't see the film unless you get the sunlight to reflect on the pool through the window. It is primarily white, sometimes looks a bit oily. There are also a few white globs (like 5-10 in the entire pool)--and the edge of the skimmer has a bit of this white substance as well. I do remember my salt cell shooting out cloudy water when I was having issues initially with keeping it running. (FYI--I had the cell cleaned with muriatic acid).

Thoughts on what is going on here?

Here are my latest readings:

Total Chlorine: 1.34
PH: 7.6
Alk: 134
CH: 405
CYA: 2

THANKS!
--Brian

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”