SWGs, salt water chlorine generators, chlorinators,
ozone generators, UV systems, . . .
harley3348
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: I have an Intex 16' x 48" pool

How much salt does my pool need

Postby harley3348 » Sun 04 May, 2014 19:19

I put up a 16' x 48" Intex pool last weekend and my salt water system keeps going into sleep mode and the LOW SALT light keeps coming on. I have just put in the 6th 40 pound bag of pool salt. The manual calls for only 125 pounds????

Can anyone please help.
Thanks

CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby CGPoolman » Mon 05 May, 2014 14:59

Harley,

Could be a number of things. You want your salt level to be around 2700 ppm (give or take), what reading are you getting?

I would get the pool water tested at a pool shop to get an exact salt reading. If your salt is way high and your system is telling you low salt - you have a faulty sensor, salt cell, or something is up with your salt system and you should have it checked. If you could provide the make & model of your salt system we might be able to help you troubleshoot it a bit.

-CG
harley3348
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: I have an Intex 16' x 48" pool

Postby harley3348 » Tue 06 May, 2014 06:42

CGPoolman,

Thanks for the help. Here is what I did. As you advised, I had my water checked and the pool store stated that all my numbers were right on but way too much salt. I went on Youtube and found a video on cleaning the cells in the salt water system model # CS8110.

I took the system apart and found that everything was totally covered with crud. NOTE: my entire pool system, pool, pump and salt system is only one week old. Ho did it need cleaning in such a short time???

I soaked the cells in vinegar for three hours and the cells came out looking brand new. Now I am draining the pool because I read that there is no way to lessen the amount of salt in the pool water other than to drain the pool by about 1/2 and refill with fresh water. It is only a 16' by 48" so it shouldn't take very long.

Once filled I will turn on the pump and salt system and have the water tested again.

Thanks again for your help.
Harley
CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby CGPoolman » Sun 11 May, 2014 10:01

Harley,

Sounds like you are doing everything right! It is odd that the cell got dirty so fast, but with so much salt in the pool that easily could have caused it. Once the water chemistry is balanced out and the salt system is still not operating correctly then I would guess you have a defect in the salt system, either the cell or the control unit is bad. If this is brand new equipment you should be able to get a warranty replacement with little issue.

Keep us posted on your progress!

-CG
ChlorineGenie
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: How much salt does my pool need

Postby ChlorineGenie » Tue 20 Sep, 2016 14:02

The problem with salt in the pool systems is the water you are running through the cell is the same water that your pool is filled with. Minerals, stabilizers, other inert ingredients, etc. are all constantly accumulating and being run through the cell electrodes during the electrolysis process that separates the chloride in the salt molecule. This other material can quickly build up on electrodes, clog cells and reduce their lifespan. It is alarming how quickly your cell clogged. Either have your water professionally evaluated or the substance that is clogging the cell evaluated. High mineral content of your water or additives are usually the problem. This is a big drawback for most salt in the pool chlorine generators. Until you resolve the water issues your cell may continue to experience problems. Depending on your cells requirements it sounds like your cell may be affected as stated earlier by the high salt concentration if everything else with your water checks out. Just remember with standard salt in the pool chlorinators maintenance and cleaning of your cell is going to preserve not only the lifespan of your cell but also the efficiency of chlorination.

Return to “Salt Water Chlorine Generators, Ozone, UV”