Cloudy Water in a Salt Pool

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
JP
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie

Postby JP » Tue 11 Jul, 2006 06:58

We have a salt water pool (pool only 7 months old) which has always been extremely clear. We got a rain last Thursday night and now our pool looks milky. we took water samples (twice) to get checked and all chemicals are fine...nothing out of balance. They recommended we flock it so we did last night, let it run on recirculate for about 2-2 1/2 hours then turned the pump off overnight. Looked at this morning and there was white settlement that we vaccumed up on waste. Still looks very cloudy :( (thank goodness not green) no better then last night. Any suggestions??? do we continue to run today on recirculate or just the regular pump? Should we flock again? thanks for your help!!![/b]

poolsbyscott

cloudy water

Postby poolsbyscott » Sun 23 Jul, 2006 21:56

I have the same problem with my salt water pool...let me know how you fix it

Cloudy pool wather

Postby Guest » Fri 28 Jul, 2006 21:02

I have a salt pool and also it is cloudy. I have tried every suggestion under the sun. Still cloudy. HELP. I am about ready to ditch the salt water system. I have never had this problem before.
    teddybear321

Cloudy pool water

Postby teddybear321 » Thu 02 Aug, 2012 08:07

Pool User wrote:I have a salt pool and also it is cloudy. I have tried every suggestion under the sun. Still cloudy. HELP. I am about ready to ditch the salt water system. I have never had this problem before.

i have one to my water was so pretty,then all of a sudden the pump said low salt,so of course i put salt in it then the light stayed on,co i took the pump back the store i bought it from replaced thank god,when i this time went my water turned cloudy tried everything under the sun it wont clear up at all,my readys r good now what?
      poolboy_Crete
      Pool Newbie
      Pool Newbie
      My Pool: dont have one. but i clean many!

Postby poolboy_Crete » Thu 02 Aug, 2012 11:51

JP wrote:We have a salt water pool (pool only 7 months old) which has always been extremely clear. We got a rain last Thursday night and now our pool looks milky. we took water samples (twice) to get checked and all chemicals are fine...nothing out of balance. They recommended we flock it so we did last night, let it run on recirculate for about 2-2 1/2 hours then turned the pump off overnight. Looked at this morning and there was white settlement that we vaccumed up on waste. Still looks very cloudy :( (thank goodness not green) no better then last night. Any suggestions??? do we continue to run today on recirculate or just the regular pump? Should we flock again? thanks for your help!!![/b]

you mention that your water chemistry is all within acceptable parameters, so assuming that it it is just sediment brought down from a dirty rain then flocking it should sort it out.

id just change youre method of flocking. im assuming you used a liquid floc and had to let it settle, then vac on waste as you said. personally ive always had trouble with liquid floc as its a pain to vac back up without kicking up at least a little bit of settlement back up, thus clouding the water again!
      see if you cant get hold of some tablet floc. its much easier and more effective imo. just chuck a tablet in the skimmer/overflow tank and run the pump for 24hrs (on normal filtration) or as long as it takes to clear. then just give it a backwash and youll be back to crystal clear water again!! :thumbup:

a bit of shock cant hurt either if you think the rain brought down a bit of organic matter.
      Thomas152
      Pool Newbie
      Pool Newbie
      My Pool: Surfing

Cloudy pool wather

Postby Thomas152 » Thu 20 Sep, 2012 05:13

Pool User wrote:I have a salt pool and also it is cloudy. I have tried every suggestion under the sun. Still cloudy. HELP. I am about ready to ditch the salt water system. I have never had this problem before.

Salt pool can be removed by using proper filter, it will remove all the salt from pool water which make it pure and feel fresh to take jump in pool water.
        I'm also using this technique and get desire result. I have install a permanent filtration with pool.

Pool Shop
        PhD43
        Pool Newbie
        Pool Newbie
        My Pool: 16 x 32 concrete

Postby PhD43 » Wed 27 Mar, 2013 16:23

I had problems with cloudy pool water and my pool store suggested that I purchase the circulator. I have not had a problem with cloudy pool water for years now. I replaced all my fixed wall returns with the circulators and my pool came alive. What a difference it made in my pool. I don't fight with algae anymore either. I would recommend this product to all pool owners who want more fun time with their pool and less hassles.
        lilr001

Postby lilr001 » Wed 01 May, 2013 00:01

What, how and why ? I'm a new salt water pool owner when I bought my house with a pool it was a green pool and I didn't think it would turn into a clear clean blue pool, But with little help and a lot of time and effort it did turn into a beautiful pool, I'm out there every day maintaining my pool for weeks it looked great .One day when I left for work the pool was nice and clear ,but when I got home to my shock my pool was super cloudy I wanted to cry, I couldn't understand what happened how and why. You can barely see the bottom of the pool.
        Can someone please tell me what may have happened?? its not algie, the water is just a cloudy milky color.
        chem geek
        Pool Industry Leader
        Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Wed 01 May, 2013 02:14

Depending on the species of algae, it can first appear dull/cloudy before turning green. You are probably not maintaining a minimum Free Chlorine (FC) level that is at least 5% of the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level for your saltwater chlorine generator (SWCG) pool. You need that minimum FC/CYA ratio to prevent algae growth (regardless of phosphate and nitrate level).
        the cleaner

Postby the cleaner » Sat 10 Aug, 2013 22:09

I had the same experience as JP. I just converted to a salt pool and for weeks it has been very clear. Then we had a rain and a lot of swimming and now it is cloudy. I have been in chemical spec for weeks. I am bringing the sample in tomorrow to have it checked. Very bummed. Help?

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”