Cloudy/pool issues

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
TravisCrater
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: I'm not sure how many gallons but a guess is close to 45000. I also have a sand filter that is 1.5 hp and I have 2 skimmers on the side wall that are plumbed into my skimmer before my pump. I also have 2 drain in the bottom of the pool that are plumbed into the skimmer before the filter. There is a valve before the skimmer so I can choose to use the skimmers in the pool or the bottom drains to filter or both through the filter.

Cloudy/pool issues

Postby TravisCrater » Thu 05 Jun, 2014 19:51

I have an inground pool that is roughly 45000 gallons. I have 2 PVC lines that come out of the ground going into my skimmer before the sand filter. It also has a valve on it so I can use just the skimmers to go through the filter or I can turn the valve and let it pull from my 2 bottom floor drains in the pool or I can have them pulling from skimmers and floor drains. My pool is blue all the levels are great but it's still cloudy. I have used flock and other sink and vac stuff. My question is do I filter from the skimmers or floor drains. Or do both for best filtering?

TSH Tech

Cloudy/pool issues

Postby TSH Tech » Tue 10 Jun, 2014 15:28

I read your other posting here:
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=12737

I see in your description you have a sand filter with 45,000 gallons of pool water(appx).

Your pool should have a filtering time of no less than 8 hours. If you go less than 8 hours, expect cloudy pool problems. You have a fairly large pool when you take into account an average residential pool is 15,000 to 25,000 gallons.
TravisCrater
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: I'm not sure how many gallons but a guess is close to 45000. I also have a sand filter that is 1.5 hp and I have 2 skimmers on the side wall that are plumbed into my skimmer before my pump. I also have 2 drain in the bottom of the pool that are plumbed into the skimmer before the filter. There is a valve before the skimmer so I can choose to use the skimmers in the pool or the bottom drains to filter or both through the filter.

Cloudy/pool issues

Postby TravisCrater » Tue 10 Jun, 2014 22:21

I never turn my pump off!!!
TSH Tech

Cloudy/pool issues

Postby TSH Tech » Wed 11 Jun, 2014 03:52

If the pump never stops, and you're having cloudy water, there's possibilities why it won't clear up. These are the items I would check that would contribute to cloudy water beyond the basics:

Are ALL your chemicals dialed in? (Chlorine, Ph, TA, Water Hardness, Conditioner, Phosphates, did the gardener accidentally spill fertilizer nitrogen into the pool, check it all)

1) Total Alkalinity levels - too low of TA will cloud water up
2) Dirty Sand filter - A good Backwash and Rinse cycle to flush out the filter. Repeat until the Rinse water comes out clear. Then move the multiport valve to "Filter".
3) Filter Sand may need a deep cleaning - If the filter sand is loaded up with suntan oils or tree sap, a regular backwash cycle may not break free the soils. A bottle of sand filter cleaner will break up the soils so the filter can clean efficiently.
4) You may be getting bypass in your multiport valve. - Caused by broken parts inside the multiport valve

Ensure this basic four are in order and if for some unusual reason, the water still remains cloudy, then there is something else going on with the pool that is not easily detectable.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”