Valve settings for "Main drain" and "main drain return"

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
Dr.Ron
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 41,600 gal.25x45, attached spa,DE filter-Jandy system,polaris pump

Postby Dr.Ron » Sat 21 Jun, 2014 01:19

Hello. I am a newbie here and a new pool owner. I have a 41,600 gallon pool with a large attached spa, waterfalls (3) and all Jandy equipment. I am the 2nd owner of this house/pool. The pool is 6-7 yrs. old. I already had to replace the heater, blower motor,cleaner pump, and the salt cell. They obviously didn't care for the pool much. Some stain/scaling on the pool floor as well. I've been brushing that, but I think it needs some resurfacing of some sort....anyway...

There is a label on the PVC pipes labeled "main drain." The pool guy said keep this valved closed/off. I did a little research and it seems most say the main drain is useless and many new pool builds don't even include a main drain. Should I leave it set to off?

There is also a "main drain return" label. This valve was in the off position. Should I leave that off as well?

I ask because there are only 2 returns located in the shallow end, about 18" apart from each other. The spa spills over into the pool gently. There is a skimmer in the shallow end and one in the deep end. I'm thinking the 1 return is not enough for this size pool...A lot of the debris collects on the slope to the deep end on the far side of the pool.

I have a cleaner pump which blows out through a return in the center of the pool. Should I use this to help circulate the water better?

Finally, the spa doesn't seem to be filtered so great. It has small debris on the floor and always looks a little dirty...like it needs to be vacuumed. Is there a way for better circulation of the spa, or does this only circulate when in spa mode? I don't see any "spa drai"n labeled valves per se, but there is an actuated valve for the spa (labeled). The only other actuated valve is right by the salt cell...

Sorry for all of the questions, but I'm trying to get a grasp on this...Even the pool guys said my system is 'complicated', so I don't fully trust their guidance as they were slightly overwhelmed at the pool opening and when they gave me a walk through of the equipment.

Thanks so much!!!

Ron

Dr.Ron
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Dr.Ron » Sat 21 Jun, 2014 10:00

UPDATE:
I learned last night that turning the main drain & main drain return valves slightly open stopped the 2 pool returns from blowing out into the pool. Therefore, I closed them again.

So my only dilemma is should I use the cleaner pump to help with the water circulation, as it is 2/3 of the way to the deep end?

Hopefully I'll get some replies! :thumbup:

Thanks again!

Ron
TSH Tech

Postby TSH Tech » Sat 21 Jun, 2014 15:35

Dr.Ron wrote: Some stain/scaling on the pool floor as well. I've been brushing that, but I think it needs some resurfacing of some sort....anyway...

Tell-tale sign. The previous pool owner neglected the Total Alkalinity chemical balancing for many years. Pool chemical balancing is everything, not just "chlorine" and "Ph".
Resurfacing is up to you.

Dr.Ron wrote:The pool guy said keep this valved closed/off. I did a little research and it seems most say the main drain is useless and many new pool builds don't even include a main drain. Should I leave it set to off?

It's fine. Leave it off. :thumbup:

Dr.Ron wrote:There is also a "main drain return" label. This valve was in the off position. Should I leave that off as well?
That is an oxymoron label. I know you didn't do it, but whoever labeled it, did not think it through. That's like going up to your car, and saying, "there's the exhaust pipe intake".
Leave it off.

Dr.Ron wrote:I have a cleaner pump which blows out through a return in the center of the pool. Should I use this to help circulate the water better?

No, don't use the cleaner pump to circulate water. Not effective at all in a 40,000 gallon+ pool.

Dr.Ron wrote:Finally, the spa doesn't seem to be filtered so great. It has small debris on the floor and always looks a little dirty...like it needs to be vacuumed. Is there a way for better circulation of the spa, or does this only circulate when in spa mode? I don't see any "spa drain" labeled valves per se, but there is an actuated valve for the spa (labeled). The only other actuated valve is right by the salt cell...

Any debris at the bottom of the spa/hot tub will have to be vacuumed out.

In Pool Filtering Mode - The water circulation is such, that the spa gets a small portion of the filtered water that spills into the pool. This very small flow is so the spa water does not turn green, develop an algae problem and otherwise become stale water. The pool receives the larger percentage of circulation. This is the normal setting.

In Spa Filtering Mode - All valves are closed off to the pool and the spa gets all filtration. This is usually set "ON" when homeowners plan on using the spa for the evening or party venue. When the spa is no longer used, Pool Filtration Mode must be switched back so the pool doesn't get stale.

[quote="Dr.Ron"] Even the pool guys said my system is 'complicated', so I don't fully trust their guidance as they were slightly overwhelmed at the pool opening and when they gave me a walk through of the equipment.
[quote="Dr.Ron"]
:lol: Complicated? Well, I don't know about that, there's just allot of features included in your pool. Not sure what your situation is with the pool guy, but ask for another pool guy opinion who has the experience and is knowledgeable. Based on what you described, your pool needs some TLC to get it back into shape. 40,000+ gallons of water is a fairly large residential pool, so that salt generator will help keep your pool crystal clear. You may want to hire a pool service, you might be a do-it-yourselfer, either way, once you get your pool dialed in, it should be smooth sailing.

cheers
Dr.Ron
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Dr.Ron » Sat 21 Jun, 2014 19:59

Thanks for the reply!
The cleaner pump at least blows more in the middle of the pool and towards the deep end. I just thought it would help. It blows out harder then the 2 returns in the shallow end at the sun deck I know. I just assumed it would lead to better water circulation.

Yes, they neglected, especially the last 2-3 years. I am on it though. I have been doing all of the work myself, including installing the new pumps,heater,etc. that I listed above. The pool company gets like $110+any chemicals they add to vacuum 1x/week, whether they take 5 min. or an hour...and if they think they can do it in 5 min., they do! No thanks! I'll take the 30 min. and vacuum it myself.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”