No chlorine with new chlorine generator

Chlorinating, maintaining the right chlorine levels,
chlorine problems. Dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo, bleach,
granules, chlorine pucks and chlorine sticks.
Alf
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 20,000 Gallon, Salt-water pool, auto-cleaner

Postby Alf » Wed 16 Jul, 2014 22:55

I had chlorine problems with my pools for the past several months. I had a technician looked at it and he told me it was time to have a new chlorine generator. I ordered an exactly same one as the old from Amazon, let it running for 2-3 weeks, still no chlorine so I had to add shockers frequently. Then I returned the chlorine generator back to Amazon and got a new one back. I installed it again for two days and still no chlorine. I don't think the generator is the issue then what else could go wrong? I tested the chlorine level around the outlet where the water from generator back to the pool, no chlorine either. What could make a new chlorine generator do not generate chlorine? Everything looks normal: all green lights on the board. Please help brain-storming. Thanks!
-Alf

CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby CGPoolman » Thu 17 Jul, 2014 09:05

Hi Alf,

Can you provide some more detail? What kind of system do you have? Are you sure everything is installed and connected properly? Have you had the water tested and made sure your chemistry is good? Does your pump provide enough flow/gpm for the salt system? Are all the sensors installed and plugged in? Hard to troubleshoot when we don't know what you have or how it is set up. If you could provide any photos that would be a big help as well.

-CG
Alf
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Alf » Thu 17 Jul, 2014 16:59

Hi CGPoolman,

Thanks for looking at it!

I have Gunite pool with 20,000 gallon of capacity. The filter is Tagelus TA60D with 500 lb sand; the pump is Whisper Flo 1.5 HP; the cleaner is Letro Legend Cleaner; and Chlorine generator is InelliChlor Chlorine generator IC20 from Pentair Water.

I include a photo about how the equipment configured and one for the new generator in working (everything looks fine but no chlorine). I have one observation worth to mention: I found the nails of the cable connectors for the new generator and the old one is different (see attachment). The new one is on the left and one nail is longer than the remaining three; the old one is on the right and every nail seems in the same length. The two new equipment I got from Amazon has the same interesting thing. I don't know if this matters or not. My guess for now is that some part of the electric circuit is connected inappropriate and couldn't produce chlorine but can enable the green lights for cell, flow, and salt sensor. Any help is appreicated!
Attachments
Cable_Connector.jpg
Comparison of cable connectors
Cable_Connector.jpg (48.37 KiB) Viewed 2030 times
New Generator.jpg
Working new generator
New Generator.jpg (56.5 KiB) Viewed 2023 times
Pool_Configure.jpg
System configuration view 1
Pool_Configure.jpg (133.58 KiB) Viewed 2036 times
CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby CGPoolman » Fri 18 Jul, 2014 15:45

HI Alf,

Thanks for posting the pics, this is helpful! The different cables are interesting. Have you tried swapping the cables out? It's a stab in the dark but worth a try. This is your second new unit, correct? I doubt you got 2 bad ones in a row, but anything is possible. What is your water test looking like - good level of salt, etc?

Sounds like you have good power to the unit. If it were me, I would take everything apart - check all the plugs/wires/connections/fuses/etc. If this is brand new, you have Pentair's warranty - if I were you my next step would be to call Pentair's tech support and have them walk you thru a few diagnostics. If you have a voltmeter they can help pinpoint where any power issues might be. I've had to call them from a jobsite before and they were always pretty helpful.

-CG
Alf
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Alf » Sat 26 Jul, 2014 12:52

Hi CG,

I contacted Pentair support and he suggest me to check chemicals (specifically phosphates, nitrates, and cyanuric acid) to assure they are in lines. He also said the difference in pin connectors would not make a difference in the level of chlorine.
I did several round of different test at pool shop recently and finally was told the total chlorine demand (TCD) is too high (27 lbs). I don't have a clue why the TCD is so high. Only guess I have is couple months ago a severe thunderstorm caused my pool over-topped and the backyard was not drained well at that time because of the rain; therefore the storm-water from adjacent flower bed may flow into the pool as well. Anyway, I already added a bucket of chocker (CLC 3) (25 lb) to the pool and wait the chlorine level go back to normal. It may take several days. Hope we already found the right cause and fought a good fight.

Thanks,
Alf.

Return to “Chlorine”