Brand New Liner water question

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
PurpleKerbie

Postby PurpleKerbie » Fri 25 Jul, 2014 11:38

It's been a crazy year and one of my problems is just being fixed. Our new liner is being installed today. I really didn't think it would take this long. My question to you is, after we refill it with water, can we get by with just putting the cover back on? With vacations, camps, school starting, and what not, I really can't justify (or have the time) to maintain the pool for the rest of the season. What's the bare minimum we can get away with?

TSH Tech

Postby TSH Tech » Fri 25 Jul, 2014 17:33

Well, you have some options, however the difficult part is you are in the summer season and water needs to be chemically balanced each week.

With your new liner installed, pool filled, and your pool cover on, here's the best approach to keeping your pool maintained.
- Hire a swimming pool service for a few months!
Typically, they offer full debris and chemical service, OR, just chemical service only. The best option for maintaining your pool until you can get to it.

- If you must Do-It-Yourself
Keep your cover on, ensure no leaves, soil or debris can enter the pool water. Ensure you have an automatic timer to filter the pool. Perform a once a week chemical test to ensure your chemicals are balanced, should only take at the most, 5 minutes. Buy yourself one of those floating tablet pre-filled chlorinators and put it in the pool. With the cover on, you'll more than likely use the lowest consumption setting enabling you to get approximately two weeks usage. Test your water chemicals each week, and this will determine if you need to buy another chlorinating floater. This this least amount of time you will spend fumbling around with the pool while keeping it from turning green on you.

Hope this helps!

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”