Very tiny tiny insects on the liner and in the water

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
DBM
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie
My Pool: 24' round

Very tiny tiny insects on the liner and in the water

Postby DBM » Wed 30 Jul, 2014 08:17

'I have tiny insects on my liner and in my above ground pool they crawl some fly. I believe they may be baby "no see ums" not sure, but can anyone suggest how to get rid of them they seem to stay alive in the clorinated water. What can i use for a spray which will not damage the liner?'

paulbest
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Re: Very tiny tiny insects on the liner and in the water

Postby paulbest » Mon 15 Aug, 2016 00:31

The best way to get rid of water bugs is to eliminate what they eat. Attacking the algae is the place to start. Wiping down the pool walls will eliminate slimy algae growths. Skimming and vacuuming will gather more. Finally, shocking the pool repeatedly or using a double shock treatment, 2 to 3 pounds of calcium hypochlorite for every 10,000 gallons of water will kill the rest of the algae and likely many insects, too. Another brush down and vacuum job and thorough skimming and filtration should remove dead algae and bugs. Adding shock during the night prevents the sun from dissipating it too quickly.

After killing the food source, several steps will help keep insects away. An algaecide, used as directed, will inhibit algae growth. Using swimming pool covers, spraying invading insects with a soapy water mixture to kill them would also help. The most important thing, however, is to keep your water balanced with proper pH and chlorine levels. A quality pool water test kit, used constantly, is essential.

remedies:

USING COOKING OIL

Get a bucket that has a lid, fetch some pool water and then pour the oil in it. We know from our elementary science that water and oil do not mix, so oil will float at the top. Using a pool skimmer, skim out the bugs from your pool and put them in the bucket with oil. Cover it with the lid and then wait for them to die.

ALGAECIDE

as mentioned above, first aim is to eliminate food supply for bugs. without food, water insects will die. Shock your pool and give it about 2 days for the chlorine to evaporate and the level to get to about 1.0 to 3.0 ppm(parts per million) . Work out the amount of algaecide that your pool needs and then according to the instructions on the product you are using, apply it. After about 12 hours following application, brush and vacuum the pool to get rid of the dead algae.

LIQUID DISH WASH DETERGENT

this is the simplest and cheapest way of getting rig of water insects. This method alters the surface tension of the water so that they are unable to stand on the water and cannot make any bubbles of air to carry with them underwater. They will drown and then the pool filtration will get them out of the swimming pool.

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”