Added PH plus then pool went cloudy

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
mikeydude
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: I have a pool and a spa

Postby mikeydude » Sun 17 Aug, 2014 04:16

I added pH plus to my pool yesterday and it went cloudy.
It also made my spa water cloudy.
It was a new make of product but still the same sodium carbonate chemical.

Just to be sure I added some to my tap water and it just did not seem to dissolve in the water and went cloudy.

I sent some ph plus to my friend in the north of England (I live in the south) and he mixed it with his tap water and it dissolved straight away! and went crystal clear after a few seconds!

So, I know it has nothing to do with the pool chemistry....it is my water supply.

I noticed when I tested the supply water it showed high TA (200ppm)
pH was not too bad...just a bit low about 6.6

please help as I am shouting at the supplier of the pH but they say it is fine and is the same product as everyone else supplies!

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Sun 17 Aug, 2014 12:49

When pH Up is added to water that is already near or at or above saturation with calcium carbonate (i.e. where the pH, TA and/or CH are high), then it will cloud the water. The reason is that sodium carbonate raises both pH and TA substantially locally so unless the CH in the pool water is low it will cloud and will take time to clear. You did not list the Calcium Hardness (not just Total Hardness).

If you lower the pH and the water clears, then you just over-saturated the water. You can instead raise the pH with less of a rise in TA by using 20 Mule Team Borax (if available to you) or you can aerate the water which raises the pH with no change in TA. Learn more about how to maintain your pool by reading the Pool School.

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”