Can not remove old light cord

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
jones391
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby jones391 » Mon 22 Sep, 2014 13:11

I have a old pool and I need to change the light assembly. I can not pull the cord out of the pool or @ the above ground junction box. The cord is in a copper conduit and might of been flattened. I do not know.
I am afraid of pulling to hard and eater wrecking the conduit of breaking the cable.
I bought a new assembly with a 50 ft cable and I am thinking of making a under water splice. Any one have any luck with this using heat shrink tubing with glue lining at the niche under water?

MikeThePoolman
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby MikeThePoolman » Tue 23 Sep, 2014 00:51

DO NOT splice underwater. This is illegal and dangerous (do a search on Florida pool light electrocutions in the news lately...)
If for some foolish crazy reason you do so anyway, MAKE SURE YOU PROPERLY INSTALLED GFCI IS ON THE LIGHT CIRCUIT. I suspect the GFCI will trip the circuit when it detects the issues with shrink wrap, as it should to SAVE LIVES!!!

I'd get in the pool with a mask and remove the fixture from the niche. Is there epoxy or putty or butyl tape wrapped around the cord where it goes into the conduit? If so, this is likely the reason you cant pull the cord through. Remove the epoxy and see if you are able to pull it.

If not, this may just be one of those situation in an old pool that prevents you from installing a new light :(
MikeThePoolman
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby MikeThePoolman » Tue 23 Sep, 2014 00:53

and, if you need to hire a professional, Payan Pool Service is highly reputable in the SD area:
http://www.payanpools.com
Say hello to Javier for me and tell him Mike the Poolman in Folsom referred you.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”