Salt Levels

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
Salty water
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 90000 Liters ... 10 m X 5m

Salt Levels

Postby Salty water » Thu 16 Oct, 2014 04:54

Hello Everyone .... New kid on the block here !!

Trying to get my head around the following .......It concerns salt level in my pool !

The manual for my Chlorinator says that i should maintain the pool at 4000ppm and never to allow it to go down to 3000ppm.

I`ve just purchased a Kokido Digital Salinity Meter . Th initial calibration of the unit required me to put the meters electrodes in a calibration solution that has 6.44 ppt or ppl written on it ( the print quality on the instruction is very poor ) . After that i did a water sample of my pool and the reading i got was 6.69

So the question is ..... What is the acceptable level of salinity i should aim for ?
the 6.44 ppl or ppt that i used to calibrate the meter does this respect the 4000 / 3000 ppm as stated in the chlorinator manual

Is the 6.69 reading i`m getting is this indicating excessive salt in the pool and could be damaging long term if i keep that reading level ...certainly tastes salty and nice

Hope i`m making sense to all of you

Any help and clarification is much appreciated

Ken
Over in Thaland

mas985
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Salt Levels

Postby mas985 » Fri 17 Oct, 2014 09:21

Does the SWG have it's own salt readout? That is what I would use to set salt levels not an external tester. The only thing that truly matters is what the SWG "thinks" the salt level is.
Mark
Hydraulics 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Ed 101
18'x36' 20k gallon plaster/gunite pool, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge Filter, Solar Panels, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater
Corandoo

Re: Salt Levels

Postby Corandoo » Thu 24 Dec, 2015 04:57

Salty water wrote:The manual for my Chlorinator says that i should maintain the pool at 4000ppm and never to allow it to go down to 3000ppm.

I`ve just purchased a Kokido Digital Salinity Meter . Th initial calibration of the unit required me to put the meters electrodes in a calibration solution that has 6.44 ppt or ppl written on it ( the print quality on the instruction is very poor ) . After that i did a water sample of my pool and the reading i got was 6.69

The 6.44ppt calibration solution is equivalent to 6440ppm of salt.

So a reading of 6.69 means 6690ppm salt- way more than the recommended 4000ppm.

Cory

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”