Back Yard flooded and water in the pool in down, but .....

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
Jerzyboy73
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Built in 2007 (im not the original owner), the pool/spa combo has a Hayward Mega Cartridge Filter (8 large Cartridges). The pool holds about 15K gallons of water, has an in floor cleaning system, and pebble tec.

Back Yard flooded and water in the pool in down, but .....

Postby Jerzyboy73 » Tue 08 Dec, 2015 08:54

Good Morning,

I need help trouble shooting this problem. The other morning I received a call from my wife who said the back yard was flooded and the the water level is the pool had dropped about 4 inches. I asked her what was running (pool equipment) and she said the filter and the water feature. We live in AZ and while it doesn't get freezing cold like other parts of the country, the temperature will drop and the water feature will kick on when it gets to a certain temperature I assume to prevent the line from freezing. Anyway, she told me the water in the yard was heaviest on the side of the closest to the pipes where the water leveler line. The water line is on the opposite side of the yard from the pool equipment itself. I asked my wife to shut everything off until I got home.

So I came home and turned the leveler back on but placed the pool timer in the off/service mode until the pool filled up. I also wanted to to wait a day or two to allow the ground to dry up. I left the pool off for the next two days. I then began a series a test. First was to let the pool run with the lever off. Everything seemed of until my wife said the remote timer was on but the display said "service mode" with an hour an 15minute countdown. She continued to let the pool run for about two hours and then shut it off. I came home and turned the pool on for about an hour and saw no water. I turned the water feature on for another hour and saw no water in the yard. I did this for the next two days.

Yesterday, I came home and saw that the water was down a little but the yard was not flooded. I don't know where the water went. Its not like its the summer and the water is evaporating. Its only 60 degrees during the day. Anyway, I turned the leveler back on to fill the pool. I turned the filter on for about 30 minutes and then the feature for another 30 minutes. I tried to recreate the exact situation when the problem first started. I did not see any water but I am afraid that it did not let it run long enough. It was getting late and I was getting ready to turn in for the night.

I am going to let the pool run again, for a longer period of time, in the exact situation it was when we noticed the problem the first time, but I have to tell you its frustrating ans stressful wondering if I'm going to wake up to a flooded yard again. The poll filter is back on as I normally have it but I left the water leveler off. Everything seems OK (no flooded yard) when I had it like this the few days, so I assume by process of elimination, the leveler/ line is my issue, but I don't know for sure. Maybe its the vacuum break on the hose bib coming from the house?

Larry
Pool Forums Admin
My Pool: Pool Pro
Exclusively tiled concrete pools

Re: Back Yard flooded and water in the pool in down, but .....

Postby Larry » Tue 08 Dec, 2015 12:00

It could very well be a leaky pipe or fitting that is near ground level.

If the water level is falling consistently then you most certainly need to look for the source. There is bound to be a wet/ muddy area in the yard which could give you a clue as to where the leak could be.

Larry
Jerzyboy73
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Built in 2007 (im not the original owner), the pool/spa combo has a Hayward Mega Cartridge Filter (8 large Cartridges). The pool holds about 15K gallons of water, has an in floor cleaning system, and pebble tec.

Postby Jerzyboy73 » Tue 08 Dec, 2015 12:42

Every time I ran the system in different stages, I always checked and monitored the ground for leaks or water seeping up from where the pipes woukd be. When I am home for a longer period of time I will be able to monitor this more closely.

My concern is why or how did the pool drain if the issue is with the water leveler. This is the part I can seem to figure out. If is a simple PVC pipe repair on the water level line then I can fox that. But with the water drain from the pool and into the yard somehow. That is my headscaratcher
Larry
Pool Forums Admin
My Pool: Pool Pro
Exclusively tiled concrete pools

Postby Larry » Tue 08 Dec, 2015 14:13

If the water level is dropping only when you run the pump then the problem could be anywhere on the return line. If the level falls only when the water feature is active then the probable cause can be more easily determined.

You seem to be approaching the problem in the right way, but I think it needs a few more days to collect enough info.

Larry
Jerzyboy73
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Jerzyboy73 » Wed 09 Dec, 2015 07:48

For the past few days I have been running the pool filter about 8 hours over night. I check the yard before I leave for work and the yard appears dry. The water feature did not turn on because the temperature has not been cold enough. I turned the water feature on manually one or twice this past week, and I will do the same before I leave for work so my wife can check it when she gets up in a few hours. Keep in mind that the water level has been shut off.

So i guess I just need to keep running the pool and checking the ground for leaks. By the way.....what do you make of the remote timer and the "Service Mode" display and countdown. The remote is made by Goldline Controls.
waterbob

Postby waterbob » Fri 11 Dec, 2015 11:52

Goldline was bought out by Hayward some years back. I don't know your model but here's some info that could be useful
Service mode disables all automatic control operation and is intended to be used when servicing the pool system. To
enter service mode, push the SERVICE button once on the main unit keypad. This will initially turn all outputs off and
then allow you to turn outputs on/off manually at the main display (only). In service mode, the buttons on the optional
remote display/keypad and the optional spa side remote will turn outputs off, but will not turn any output on.

Pushing the SERVICE button again will enter a timed service mode. Service operation as described above will
continue for 3 hours, then automatically return to normal operation
http://www.manualslib.com/manual/61527/ ... ml?page=34

Here's the installation manual: https://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manual ... lation.pdf

Bob

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”