Calcification, then nitrates, now what?

Total hardness and calcium hardness in pool water.
Scale, calcium buildup, hard water and scaling problems.
poolcarenovice
I'm new here
I'm new here

Calcification, then nitrates, now what?

Postby poolcarenovice » Sat 13 Feb, 2016 00:37

I noticed a clear, salt-like residue on the skimmer basket and on the parts of the Polaris pool cleaner. After running the Polaris the all-purpose bag had collected a lot of debris that looked like a whitish sludge with some yellow in it. The local pool supply store technician said calcification (caused by pool chemicals that never evaporated) shut down the pump and the pool needed to be partially drained. The pool water had not been replaced for many years. Here are the test results from the local pool supply chain:
Before the partial drain (no mention of testing for Nitrates)-
FAC: 2
TAC: 2
CA hardness: 1,000
CYA: 120
TA: 200
pH: 7.6
Copper: 0
Iron: 0
TDS: 4,500
Pho: 1,500

12 days later. After the partial refill (about 3/4 of the water) and filter clean (once again, no mention of testing for Nitrates)-
FAC: 1
TAC: 1
CYA: 120
TA: 160
pH: 7.6
TDS: 2,200
Pho: 1,500
Temp: 65

13 days later at a different location of the same chain. After adding 257 oz. of Muriatic Acid (14.5% HCL) 1 qt. 13 oz. at a time as recommended by the store to reduce TA and not seeing much of a reduction with my strip tests. (This time the salesperson told me she would test for Nitrates). She said the Nitrates were 120ppm and I must completely drain and refill again. She said any test results would be inaccurate due to he nitrates and it would cost more to use chemicals than to drain and refill. She said fertilizer or fumigation could be the cause. I told her the neighbors fumigated their entire house recently and she said that ruined my pool.

FAC: 3
TAC: 3
CYA: 200
TA: 150
pH: 7.8
Acid Demand: 2
TDS: 2,600
Pho: 300

Am I forced to completely drain and refill? Thanks of any suggestions.

28,000 gallon, in-ground concete; Pentair Superflo VS pump; Pentair Quad D.E. Filter; Polaris 180 Vac-Sweep with booster pump

Return to “Hard Pool Water & Scale”