Water slowly draining from pump after backwash....

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Pmack963

Water slowly draining from pump after backwash....

Postby Pmack963 » Wed 04 May, 2016 18:46

Hello, I have an in ground pool that is about 18,000 gallons and that I've been able to care for myself without professional assistance thanks to this forum. I opened my pool about 2 weeks ago, and everything was working fine as far as I could tell.

I leave my pump off overnight, and this morning I went out and moved my sand filter to backwash, and ran the pump for about a minute, then turned off the pump, switched the filter from backwash to "filter", turned in the pump and walked away like I've done a thousand times.

3 hours later I noticed my water level had dropped about 2 inches. I noticed that the drain hose attached to the sand filter was slowly but steadily trickling out water. Not at the pace of if I had it set to 'drain' or 'backwash' but more like a kitchen sick that was left on.

Anyways I turned off the pump, moved the settings around to "drain" " backwash" etc to test it, and they seem to work fine. But for some reason the problem continues when I switch the filter back to normal.

Any ideas? I think this one may call for a professional repairman but if it's something I can try to fix myself I'm all ears. Thanks for your time

Yasmar75
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Water slowly draining from pump after backwash....

Postby Yasmar75 » Wed 11 May, 2016 15:24

Sounds like the spider gasket in your multiport valve is passing water. Either fit a valve to the waste or replace the valve.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Water slowly draining from pump after backwash....

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 24 May, 2016 03:55

Change the spider gasket
It's a simple job

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”