Setting Up PopUp Pool For Summer

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
MomofBoys
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Intex easy Setup 12ft x 36" (3 ft) pop up pool. Taken down every fall, put up in the spring

Setting Up PopUp Pool For Summer

Postby MomofBoys » Wed 01 Jun, 2016 11:17

I have a 12ft x 36" (3ft) Intex Pop Up Pool. Bought it last summer and used it, had some algea issues towards the end of the summer. I want to avoid that and do things right this time around.

So, I just filled the pool and we bought the next size up filter which seems to move water nicely so I think it will do a better job. My confusion is with the chemicals. I'm told I can use household bleach as opposed to all those Shock and Swim, etc pool chemicals. But, I understand if I use household bleach, I need to add cyanuric acid also so the sun doesn't burn it off. So far, is that correct?

Can you help or explain to me if this information is correct. I have a test kit that measure Chlorine, Bromine, and PH levels. My chlorine is on the low end (understandably since I just filled it) should be 2-4 I'm at 1-2, the BR is low (should be 4-6 I'm at 1-2), and PH is on target but on the low side of the target (should be 7.2-7.8 I'm at 7.2).

So, if I add Bleach - this will raise my other levels correct? Then I need to add cyanuric acid as well? Also, when do I add these and when do I run the filter.

Thanks - just trying to figure it all out to avoid the pool turning green. 8-)

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”