Pump Pipes Leaking after new pump installation

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
rbdeli
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 10,000 gallon fiberglass, sta-rite 1.5HP Pump, Sand Filter.

Pump Pipes Leaking after new pump installation

Postby rbdeli » Mon 06 Jun, 2016 18:41

I recently had a plumber (not a pool expert) install a Pentair Intelliflow variable speed pump. He mostly used the same piping from my previous pump.
The vertical pipes and fittings directly above the pump gush water when the pump is first powered-up. (See Picture) Once the pump gets up to speed the water stops gushing and there is no leaking after that.

Is there a secret to getting these pipes and fittings sealed better to withstand the pressure? It seems to have something to do with the pump entering high-speed priming mode as soon as its turned on. Perhaps I need to disable priming model. Other than that, can you offer any tips on getting the pipe and fittings sealed better?

Thanks much for your help,

Rob
Attachments
Pool Pump.jpg
Pool Pump.jpg (493.52 KiB) Viewed 881 times

rbdeli
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 10,000 gallon fiberglass, sta-rite 1.5HP Pump, Sand Filter.

Solution: Re: Pump Pipes Leaking after new pump installation

Postby rbdeli » Thu 09 Jun, 2016 09:57

Since no one else answered, I'll answer my own question. :)

I did lots of research about plastic, threaded pipe fitting and I got as many different and contradicting answers as there are pool owners.
What finally ended up working was about 6-7 rotations of Teflon tape around the threads of the 2" male pipe fitting which is about 4 inches just above the pump discharge. Some people said this never works ALWAYS use pipe paste. Another guy said too much Teflon tape was a bad idea. Well, so much for those naysayers. The most popular methods of 6-8 wraps of Teflon stopped 100% of the leaks for me. Also, I tightened the pump discharge fitting which had only a very slight leak with a pipe wrench another quarter turn (it appears the thread on the pump go all the way down to the pump, so I was not overly concerned with harming the threads on the pump.) Also, I had a small leak on the same fitting near the sand filter. This fitting feels as though it is stripped when it is tightened. The same method of heavy Teflon taping, hand-tightening, and quarter turn with pipe wrench, solved that problem too. I would caution other pool owners to be careful about over-tightening the fitting on their discharge pump. Not all of them are built the same. If you go past the threads it could definitely cause damage to the pump fitting. Hope this helps some others.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Pump Pipes Leaking after new pump installation

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 15 Jun, 2016 11:55

Any decent plumber should have left the system water tight and unless you have "O" rings or washers Teflon tape should be used with screwed joints
What you did was what the so called plumber should have done

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”