Cloudy since last year still

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
casemagnum
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 15 foot round above ground
1 and 1\2 hp pump Sta Rite
22" diameter Cristal Flo 2 sand filter
solar cover

Cloudy since last year still

Postby casemagnum » Mon 13 Jun, 2016 19:55

We just opened our pool a week ago and after we turned pump on it got really cloudy again. We had the same problem last year and flocked the pool twice and it was a lot better by the time we closed it. We have a 15' above ground round pool. It has a 1 and 1\2 hp Sta-Rite pump that is 120v. It is attached to a Cristal Flo II 22" diameter sand filter. We just dug a new well in January and thought maybe that was part of our problem last year. We typically have very hard water all around us the pool company tells us. We are near Sioux City, Iowa and use Combined Pool and Spa and they have been excellent to us for over 14 years. We have white pool steps and can barely see the 2nd step from the top. When we shut the pump off this morning and let it settle to tonight, we can see the bottom now again. We did vacuum tonight to the sand filter. Sand filter and pump are 2 years old. Maybe time to change sand? We did use a sand filter cleaner last year and tried clarifier and something else I cannot think of now.

Here are the test results from the store on Saturday afternoon:

temp 85
saturation idx 0.7
tds not tested
CYA 113
Total Chlorine 12
Free Chlorine 12
PH 7.6
Total Alkalinity 250
Adj. Total Alk. 216
Total Hardness 384
Salt N/A
Borates not tested
Copper 0.3
Copper from Products NO
Iron 0.3
Manganese NO
Hazy NO
Cloudy NO
Copper Stain None
Iron Stain NO
Quat not tested
Green Algea NO
Swampy NO
Black Algea None
Mustard Algea NO
Slime/Mold NO
Filter Cleaned 8/24/2015
Plaster <12 NO
spring opening NO
Temp. <32 NO
CD Sample not tested
CD Standard not tested
CD test type NONE
Tester none

We have always used their Bioguard supplies and tests. I normally try to keep the PH on the high side and also the chlorine as we have fewer problems then. We just can't get the cloudy water to disappear. We use Bioguard 3" chlorinating tablets with silkguard in a floater at all times. We use the Bioguard Pak 200 PH + to raise the PH. We have Bioguard minus also but have never had to add any. Pool has been running for about 10 days now since opening. Temps here are 90-100 Farenheit and sunny since opening and expected the same for next 10 days.

Thanks for all help!!

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Cloudy since last year still

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 15 Jun, 2016 11:34

Have you tried vacuuming to waste as it seems that you are just recirculating the pool water
Backwash and add a calorifier to the pump filter basket
casemagnum
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 15 foot round above ground
1 and 1\2 hp pump Sta Rite
22" diameter Cristal Flo 2 sand filter
solar cover

Postby casemagnum » Fri 17 Jun, 2016 13:06

Yes we have vacuumed to waste many times along with flocking it 3 times. This last week the pool store gave us a bottle of Pool First Aid. Said it works great!. We did as they said and added around pool with pump running. We let it circulate for 48 hours as they told us and did not add chlorine, shock it or anything in that time frame as asked. We then vacuumed to waste last night as we were told. Still cloudy. I can put my hand down about 12"-15" before I lose sight of the tips of my fingers. That is how much visibility we have, about 12-15". If we shut the pump off and let sit for 12 hours or so everything settles to bottom. It is a whitish looking color. We then vacuum to waste and restart pump circulating after we are done. Next day it is cloudy again. We keep repeating the process to no help.

After taking sample in today they tested for phosphates and there is very little, they said nothing to worry about. Everything else checked out good. They said to drain and refill. Hate to do that but.....
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 17 Jun, 2016 16:23

If it is settling at the bottom you should be able to vacuum to waste
It still seems that it is recirculating (do you physically see it going to waste). It could be a faulty spider gasket in the multiport valve
If your sand is the wrong size it will let the small particles through

Your water stats are a bit high
TA 80-120
CYA 30-100
Chlorine 3
PH 7.2-7.8

Reduce your TA by adding Muriatic acid (Hydrochloric acid)
This will lower the PH as well, increase it by aeration (I use a decent pond aerator)
You could get your returns piped in the air to splash into the pool
The only way to lower Cyanuric acid is to partially drain and refill

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”