Questions to ask a pool inspector when buying a house

Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
TheOtherJohn
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: In ground 48' x 24' - it uh, has a pump?

(I have an accepted offer on a house with a swimming pool and have some serious catching up to do!)

Questions to ask a pool inspector when buying a house

Postby TheOtherJohn » Wed 22 Jun, 2016 12:24

So we're in the "offer accepted" stage of buying a new house right now. We weren't hellbent on getting a pool, but once we found a house we loved that has a pool, the idea grew on us.

The problem is that the pool doesn't look great and as a result a pool inspection is part of the contingency on our purchase agreement. So we're having the regular house inspection tomorrow, and a local pool contractor is meeting me there to look over the pool as well. I can see areas - one large and several small - where the surface paint/plaster/whatever has worn off and is exposing what I think is bare concrete.

For experienced pool owners and maintainers, are there other general concerns I should raise in order to get a full idea of what it will cost to get it looking its best again? The pump was just recently repaired, so hopefully no longer an issue. The pool is filled and in use now, though it was drained for pump repairs the first time I saw it.

Thanks! And uh, I'm new here but will probably be back asking dumb questions until I get the hang of this pool thing.

TheOtherJohn
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: In ground 48' x 24' - it uh, has a pump?

(I have an accepted offer on a house with a swimming pool and have some serious catching up to do!)

Re: Questions to ask a pool inspector when buying a house

Postby TheOtherJohn » Wed 22 Jun, 2016 12:40

Just noticed this should probably be in the "New Pool Owners" forum, sorry. Could an admin move it? Thanks.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 23 Jun, 2016 08:34

I think if you are having a pool inspection done you need to be guided by their knowledge and recommendations
If you are paying for it by a mortgage the lenders would want the repairs done as per the pool inspectors recommendations
paulbest
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby paulbest » Mon 05 Sep, 2016 22:09

You’ll want to buy your next home with your eyes wide open. But unless you’re a pool expert yourself, you’ll be wise to engage a professional pool service company, preferably a Certified Pool Builder to conduct a thorough inspection. You need one that’s been around some time and has experience with a wide variety of pools – and the many problems that can happen with them over the years. You pay for the inspection, so get one you can rely on.

http://www.bbpoolandspa.com/blog/bid/29 ... ith-a-pool

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”