Restore and excavate a pool?

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
LilChicka
I'm new here
I'm new here

Restore and excavate a pool?

Postby LilChicka » Thu 07 Jul, 2016 21:40

I'm potentially buying a property that had a pool... I'm not sure the details of the pool but what i do know is....

1) It was in working order when they filled it and they only filled it because it wasn't being used and they were concerned it would be a liability issue.

2) it's been untouched for a couple years but it's in an open field area with nothing but grass growing where it was.

3)It was just dirt that was used to fill it in, no gravel or concrete.

4)the worst part.... they didn't cover any of it from the dirt so it's most likely in the components of the pool.

If they covered it I would be out there with a shovel (hell i still might be) excavating that bad boy the day it closes!

But is it truly worth it? I mean aside from the physical labour which I don't mind at all is it a worthwhile cause? A new pool would be thousands of dollars and I was told that it would be cheaper to just dig out and get a new one put in rather than saving this one, but that just doesn't make sense to me?

I mean if it were damaged before hand that makes sense but it was perfectly good and it just doesnt compute on how it could be more expensive to salvage it??

Wouldn't it still be cheaper to just dig it out and replace the guts (or clean the guts somehow)?

I mean if it's like 1k to get new stuff for or clean it, that is still worth it to me to dig it out as opposed to the thousands it would take to remove it and put in a new one.

Any advise / input would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using Tapatalk

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Restore and excavate a pool?

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 08 Jul, 2016 04:25

I would go for it. The fact that it has been covered would help protect it from a lot of damage.
Most of the component parts are plastic and stainless steel although you would probably need a new pump
I would suggest an exploratory investigation before jumping in full tilt
If you are going to dig it out would you use a mini digger, if so keep away from the walls to avoid damage
Good luck
LilChicka
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: RE: Re: Restore and excavate a pool?

Postby LilChicka » Sun 10 Jul, 2016 18:53

Denniswiseman wrote:I would go for it. The fact that it has been covered would help protect it from a lot of damage.
Most of the component parts are plastic and stainless steel although you would probably need a new pump
I would suggest an exploratory investigation before jumping in full tilt
If you are going to dig it out would you use a mini digger, if so keep away from the walls to avoid damage
Good luck

See my thoughts exactly... just buy a new pump and clean out the gunk from the other parts?

And no they didn't cover it that's what concerns us.. but it's also just dirt... they just pushed some dirt over it and called it a day

And we would probably just use shovels to see where all the lines of the pool are... see how deep underground it is and how wide so on and so forth.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 11 Jul, 2016 03:01

By covering I meant the dirt. You only have to see how preserved archaeological sites are
What you are suggesting by hand digging is sensible but labour intensive
Once you have the lines and depth you could probably use a digger to shift the bulk of the dirt
You could use a conveyer when you are at the bottom
Attachments
conveyer.jpg
conveyer.jpg (51.72 KiB) Viewed 883 times
LilChicka
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: RE: Re: Restore and excavate a pool?

Postby LilChicka » Mon 11 Jul, 2016 19:41

Denniswiseman wrote:By covering I meant the dirt. You only have to see how preserved archaeological sites are
What you are suggesting by hand digging is sensible but labour intensive
Once you have the lines and depth you could probably use a digger to shift the bulk of the dirt
You could use a conveyer when you are at the bottom

Ahh got cha! Yeah I was also thinking that, just shovel it to get the lines then rent something for the bulk.

I didn't even think of a conveyor! Thanks!

This is wonderfully hopeful and sounds like a project but I'll look forward to it thanks for your advice and help!

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 12 Jul, 2016 02:43

I had a problem with my fibreglass pool and it popped out of the ground
I had to lift it out of the ground and get all the sand surrounding it out
I used two of these conveyers. One to get it to ground level and the other to move it further away
It certainly made a difficult job easy. Have you tried lifting a bag of soil or sand out of the ground
Good luck and let us know how you get on, it may prompt others to have a go

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”