pool will not hold chlorine level

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
jaybayarea408
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 35,000 to 40,000 gallon pool, In Ground Pool , I have pump and filter

pool will not hold chlorine level

Postby jaybayarea408 » Tue 19 Jul, 2016 21:51

Please help to get my pool to chlorine level. I am very new to this and my pool size is about 35,000 to 40,000 (In-Ground) with filter and pump and solar heat system. Its driving me crazy . :crazy: :crazy:

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: pool will not hold chlorine level

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 20 Jul, 2016 04:36

Do you have a test kit
Post your results back here so we can help you
The fact that you can't get the chlorine to hold maybe because your Cyanuric acid (stabilisor) is to high. What are you using to chlorinate
paulbest
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby paulbest » Sat 06 Aug, 2016 20:05

the recommended range for chlorine especially in residential pools is 1-3 ppm (parts-per-million), however keeping the chlorine level should be at 2-3 ppm. continual testing of the chlorine is essential to keep the number (2-3) maintained. one of the effective method in testing your chlorine level is a strip, you just have to make sure that it is not outdated. second is the test kit however it can have inaccurate result especially when not stored properly (direct sunlight, frozen or been contaminated in some way). if your chlorine level is a little high or low, then you need to adjust the level.

ideal chlorine stabilizer is 30 to 50 ppm if you are using chlorinating tabs. for liquid chlorine, it should be 75-90 ppm. these stabilizers are protected from sunlight degradation and is ideal in keeping your pool clear and clean. in addition, make sure total level (PH, alkalinity, calcium hardness) of your pool is maintained as well. Chlorine looses its effectiveness if the water becomes too acidic.
kanny

Postby kanny » Mon 08 Aug, 2016 12:18

jaybayarea408 wrote:Please help to get my pool to chlorine level. I am very new to this and my pool size is about 35,000 to 40,000 (In-Ground) with filter and pump and solar heat system. Its driving me crazy . :crazy: :crazy:
kanny

Postby kanny » Mon 08 Aug, 2016 12:37

lets start from the basics. Firstly you need a stabalised pool. Do not use any propriety chemicals. Use the following:- Soda Ash (sodium carbonate) to increase pH, Calcium hypochlorite(65%) to increase Chlorine, it also raises the pH marginally, sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) to increase total alkalinity and muratic acid to reduce total alkalinity (TA). Calcium chloride to increase hardness to atleast 150 ppm (for clear blue water). Now the procedure. First raise/lower the TA to 80-110ppm. This is a must to have a clear pool and stabalize the pH.High or low values of TA will make the pool cloudy and algae prone. After this raise chlorine level to 3ppm. Finally raise pH to 7.5-7.8. Check that your calcium hardness is 150 ppm. you will have a good night's sleep over your pool. Pl ensure that you brush your pool every few days with the pool pump running on the bottom suction. You need to raise the chlorine levels once in three weeks to 10 ppm (shock).Any organic matter in the pool (leaves, acorns) will cause localised algae which will cause a localised yellow colour (dead algae), which need to be vacuumed every few days. If you follow the Langllier Index (do a google search), and keep your pool up to it, your pool will keep you smiling. All the chemicals mentioned above are available at lowes, home depot and amazon. Hope this helps :-)

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”