Pool Liner torn

Tips and problems concerning filling new pools.
Spring pool opening and fall pool closing.
Seasonal pool maintenance tips & advice.
Deb

Pool Liner torn

Postby Deb » Sat 11 Jun, 2005 16:47

I closed my pool last year by emptying it to within 3" below the plumbing line, and felt I did everything right, but over the winter, ice built up on top of the cover, and the sides started expanding, and when the ice finally gave way it sounded like a huge explosion and now my liner is torn in about 5 or 6 spots with huge holes. I am in the process of ordering a new liner, but I'm worried about this happening again next winter...what do I do so it doesn't?

Gov
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Pool Liner torn

Postby Gov » Tue 14 Jun, 2005 19:01

Keep as much water of your cover as possible.
All during the fall, after I close my pool, I am constantly syphoning water off the cover, that is, until it freezes.
Again when the snow and ice start to melt I try to get the melted water off it...
I use a 1/2" clear hose that I bought at the local hardware store.

Need to know

Postby Guest » Wed 30 Nov, 2005 12:54

Gov wrote:Keep as much water of your cover as possible.

I really need to know more about this... school project. Can you PM me some more ideas?

Tools

Postby Guest » Thu 22 Dec, 2005 22:18

Gov wrote:Keep as much water of your cover as possible.

}:) I dont have what i need to get it done. B) B)
Liner

Pool liner problem

Postby Liner » Sun 15 Jan, 2006 08:42

There are cover pumps available that keep the water off the cover.

I have used blow up floats under the cover to keep the center of the cover higher than the sides, allowing any rain/ snow to run off.

Another alternative is to break the ice around the edges of the cover to give it room to expand as it freezes. This is a very effective method, but is labor-intensive (and very cold!).

Return to “Opening / Closing / Winterizing the Pool”